trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
5:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of a Nielson/Oregon chain sharpener? Guys got it here locally for sale for $125. Never heard of it.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive heard of nielson. I cant remember much, my dad mentioned seeing one in the UP here in michigan. Supposedly good quality

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Custer. It doesnt look bad, but it definately looks well made. Hopefully someone will come along whos sharpened chains with it...

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nielsen grinders were made in my area - they started out in a machine shop in Winston, Oregon. They were bought by Bell Industries
later and I think that's when they moved to Eugene, Oregon. They made good machines. We used a Nielsen Pond & Deck grinder
at the dealership for years grinding .404" pitch x .080" gauge and 3/4" pitch x .122" gauge harvester chain.

I could do about 75-90 3/4" pitch chains a day, depending on the length, and we charged $9.00 each at the time for a 3/4" pitch chain grind.

The only downside to that machine was that it was belt-driven and it would stretch belts badly due to how much torque the motor had and the heavy load of grinding 3/4" pitch.

The belt was a generic size though so it was cheap and easy to replace.