Hard Hats Work

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
2:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...met-Set-with-very-high-light-penetration.aspx
This was just posted available in the NES warehouse. I think I'm going to bring one in the check it out a little better. Fortunately, most of the cutting I do is when it is ball shrinkagly cold out. Still somehow manage to sweat like crazy but I guess its better than 90 degrees out.

I obviously fly the Creamsicle flag pretty high so I try to stick to all the same but fwiw, I run the ProMark chaps, winter pants for when its cold and the ProMark Helmet.

That’s cause of all that built in R-19 you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
5:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
20190221_210843.jpg
I have nothing to compare the Stiff rascals to, but I am satisfied as they are CS Rated.

20190221_210843.jpg sena are good, very handy for comms when you can't see. The MSA chipper spec muffs are comfy and very good noise reduction, here on petzl vertex vent and husky basic lid, loads of room in the muffs to run the speakers

20190221_231243.jpg
Love mine, grippy, protective and very comfy boots, still have my original pair (bought in 2014, havs a new pair since) and they are like slippers, gore-tex, waterproof to the top and very supportive. Some prefer a bigger arch for spikes but they are fine for me and know quite a few climbers wearing them daily on big spiked removals

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 167557

View attachment 167557 sena are good, very handy for comms when you can't see. The MSA chipper spec muffs are comfy and very good noise reduction, here on petzl vertex vent and husky basic lid, loads of room in the muffs to run the speakers

View attachment 167584
Love mine, grippy, protective and very comfy boots, still have my original pair (bought in 2014, havs a new pair since) and they are like slippers, gore-tex, waterproof to the top and very supportive. Some prefer a bigger arch for spikes but they are fine for me and know quite a few climbers wearing them daily on big spiked removals

I wasn’t aware of the Chipper spec muffs: Thank You.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I emailed Oregon asking how I could purchase a set of protective trousers.
They look like a nice choice.
I received the below "no bueno" response.

Unfortunately Oregon only sells the Protective Trousers to dealers in the UK. You would have to order them on line from a dealer selling from the UK and shipping to the US. The only protective leg guards that are sold in the US are the chaps style protective gear.

Thank you for contacting Oregon®

Kathy Holter | Technical Services CSR

Forestry, Lawn and Garden Division

Blount International | 4909 SE International Way, Portland, OR 97222

T: 503.653.4783 | F: 503.353.6464 | toll free: 800.223.5168 | E: kathy.holter@blount.com

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 7:12 AM
To: Technical Services and Sales <technicalservices@oregonproducts.com>
Subject: FW: Protective saw pants (Oregon Waipoua)

DCX

Rhonda Rae | Customer Service Representative

Forestry, Lawn, & Garden Division | OregonProducts.com

Blount International | 4909 SE International Way, Portland, OR 97222

T: 503.905.2731 | E: rhonda.rae@blount.com

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 3:00 AM
To: Oregon Product Support <OregonProductSupport@blount.com>
Subject: Protective saw pants (Oregon Waipoua)

I have been unable to locate any chainsaw protection pants on the website.

I am searching specifically for the Oregon Waipoua pants. They were recommend by a colleague.

Can you link me to a dealer or to the retail website where I can purchase a pair?

Thank you,

Me

Durham, NC

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1090.JPG

This is my hard hat from back last fall. Was cutting walnut on flat ground. Noticed some vine in the trees before I started cutting in the block. Notched and back cut the tree into the lay it went. All went well then all of a sudden bam lights out. Thinking the vine went from the tree I was cutting into another and broke a limb out of it from behind me. Never could figure out what hit me. On a light note I called Madsens to order another helmet not long after it happen because I could not be with out a helmet. Well come to find out I called them twice about 15mins apart to order the same hard hat. Scattered my chickens pretty good.

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can an experienced cutter please recommend a comfortable lightweight helmet that a weekend firewood cutter would be well served with?

I know myself...if its heavy and hurts my head, I wont wear it.
I wear safety glasses so built in face protection not needed, nor is ear pro.
Or at least detachable. I'd prefer not to pay extra for them, just to remove.

Thank you!!!

There are many hats out there that would fit the bill. I personally like a full brim to keep the sun off my ears and a 6 point ratchet suspension system.

https://m.fullsource.com/bullard-33...allSTjZqAlPXHNLZYiAAd3fvlVzOoG5xoCEcYQAvD_BwE

Mojo700

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't want to get too graphic, but the point really needs to be made that a severed Femoral artery will cause such rapid blood loss that you won't be able to walk or even yell for help after about 15 seconds due to loss of blood pressure, and without help to apply a tourniquet immediately, you will bleed out in UNDER ONE MINUTE!
So it can't be overstated - you will almost certainly die if it happens in the woods so wear your PPE AND don't rush!

Catbuster

Roadbuilder Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 179347

This is my hard hat from back last fall. Was cutting walnut on flat ground. Noticed some vine in the trees before I started cutting in the block. Notched and back cut the tree into the lay it went. All went well then all of a sudden bam lights out. Thinking the vine went from the tree I was cutting into another and broke a limb out of it from behind me. Never could figure out what hit me. On a light note I called Madsens to order another helmet not long after it happen because I could not be with out a helmet. Well come to find out I called them twice about 15mins apart to order the same hard hat. Scattered my chickens pretty good.

I know I’m late to the game but pictures like this are prime examples of why I don’t like the Mac-T or Skull Bucket hard hats. Yes, they fail and take the hit, but often they just crush and don’t deflect a blow. I’ve had a plastic hat take a hit and crack, but the spring of the plastic directed what hit me in the head, which in this case was a 25 ton Crosby shackle, away from my head. A lot of guys will beat the dents out of an aluminum hat, not realizing that the material has yielded and lost most of its strength too. With a plastic hat, if it cracks, it’s both non repairable and obvious to anyone that it’s failed.

If you want a plastic hat that has a long service life MSA has the Skullgard. I wear one in the woods, or a V Gard at work, or a Bullard 911H on fire. They’re all comfortable, and light. The V Gard is even pretty cheap. They’re just not old skool cool.

I don't want to get too graphic, but the point really needs to be made that a severed Femoral artery will cause such rapid blood loss that you won't be able to walk or even yell for help after about 15 seconds due to loss of blood pressure, and without help to apply a tourniquet immediately, you will bleed out in UNDER ONE MINUTE!
So it can't be overstated - you will almost certainly die if it happens in the woods so wear your PPE AND don't rush!

I learned about CAT tourniquets quite a few years ago and one has been on my wedge belt since. Tourniquet isn’t the dirty word it used to be in the medical field now, either. The thinking has changed, and it’s not basically an auto-amputation anymore. Which is good.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I’m late to the game but pictures like this are prime examples of why I don’t like the Mac-T or Skull Bucket hard hats. Yes, they fail and take the hit, but often they just crush and don’t deflect a blow. I’ve had a plastic hat take a hit and crack, but the spring of the plastic directed what hit me in the head, which in this case was a 25 ton Crosby shackle, away from my head. A lot of guys will beat the dents out of an aluminum hat, not realizing that the material has yielded and lost most of its strength too. With a plastic hat, if it cracks, it’s both non repairable and obvious to anyone that it’s failed.

If you want a plastic hat that has a long service life MSA has the Skullgard. I wear one in the woods, or a V Gard at work, or a Bullard 911H on fire. They’re all comfortable, and light. The V Gard is even pretty cheap. They’re just not old skool cool.

I learned about CAT tourniquets quite a few years ago and one has been on my wedge belt since. Tourniquet isn’t the dirty word it used to be in the medical field now, either. The thinking has changed, and it’s not basically an auto-amputation anymore. Which is good.
Good post sir. Thank you.