Hard Hats Work

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When buying pants or chaps pay attention to the TSS/TCS rating. I know here in Canada the newer husqvarna pants come in either the 4000 TCS or the 3000 TCS. We have a minimum requirement in our industry of 3600 TCS, even that won’t stop a chainsaw at WOT, just minimize the cut.

Also another thing to look for is how high the protection comes up the leg. A lot of the husqvarna and stihl pants only come up half way between the knee and waist, IMO that isn’t high enough. What happens if you cut yourself above that?

I personally prefer a higher rated pant that the protection comes completely up to my waist which is why I wear Pfanner pants. Sure they are more expensive to buy but what’s your life worth? I’ve cut 1 pair of pants in my life back in 98 but who’s to say it can’t happen again, accidents can happen.
I got a pair of Pfanner pants & they never seem to fit right. They look like they are quality made for sure & are long enough, the waist isn’t to tight or anything but from the bottom of the fly zipper to the top
Of the waist band is about 3” shorter than any other pants I’ve ever worn making them extremely uncomfortable! I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or not. Super durable pants for sure but they feel sooo uncomfortable when I put em on I hesitate to grab em when I go to cut. I have chaps which I wear instead but I’d really like to find a decent fitting quality pair of pants.
Also not trying to turn this into a whining post but I’ve never been able to find a hard hat that I can wear for any length of time without getting a headache. Tried 3 different brands/ styles & have adjusted the headband but after about an hour or so my head starts thumping. Please don’t misunderstand my post I want protection while cutting but I’d also like to be somewhat comfortable.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried the lightweight style hard hats? More expensive, but easier on your head. I wear one from Bullard in the woods. Same one I wear on fires, and it is pretty comfortable after changing the front sweat band to a Tiger band. They are sold for welding helmets but work on any ratchet suspension helmet.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got a pair of Pfanner pants & they never seem to fit right. They look like they are quality made for sure & are long enough, the waist isn’t to tight or anything but from the bottom of the fly zipper to the top
Of the waist band is about 3” shorter than any other pants I’ve ever worn making them extremely uncomfortable! I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or not. Super durable pants for sure but they feel sooo uncomfortable when I put em on I hesitate to grab em when I go to cut. I have chaps which I wear instead but I’d really like to find a decent fitting quality pair of pants.
Also not trying to turn this into a whining post but I’ve never been able to find a hard hat that I can wear for any length of time without getting a headache. Tried 3 different brands/ styles & have adjusted the headband but after about an hour or so my head starts thumping. Please don’t misunderstand my post I want protection while cutting but I’d also like to be somewhat comfortable.
These are the sweat bands I use. Maybe give these a try and see if they help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00VECE7IY/ref=psdcmw_7491811011_t2_B07JDDGBTW

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
9:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting I wonder why. Maybe the torque. I wonder if it’s the same for battery op ones

When I researched and purchased mine, I saw a number of brands, styles listed as not suitable for use with electric. I could not find a difinitive reason as to why though.
I ended up with the Husqvarna technical chaps.
I like them. They fit when I am just wearing jeans, or 2 thermal layers, jeans and bibs. The extra straps dont seem to be a hinderance in brush either. (Length that is)

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few of us stood and watched at last year’s NYGTG as one of our members threw a chain.
Chain ripped open the saw’s fuel tank and made contact with the operator’s chaps. Had it not been for those chaps, there would have been blood and fuel on the ground.
Wish I got it on video.

My Brother is still safe because of the chaps.
31882c8dbb3d19faadea15270e60a413.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your story reminds me of another one I had several years ago. Was not a miss and I was wearing a hard hat as well as steel toed leather boots. I was felling some dead hardwood in the woods. All was going well until one of them brushed another tree on it's way down, breaking off a good size limb that came down like a lawn dart from 30 or so feet up, really not exactly sure. Probably 10 feet long and a 2 or 3 inches in diameter at the broken end that came down first. Anyway, it grazed my shoulder, narrowly missing the pocket of my collar bone (I suspect I might have been impaled if it was just a couple inches closer to my neck) then slammed like a javeline on the bootlaces on the top of my foot just an inch or two past my steel toe. Hurt BAD! Then 15 seconds after the initial hurt another much more intense wave of pain in the top of my foot hit...so bad I nearly vomited and blacked out. I thought I broke bones in my foot but x-rays a couple days later proved otherwise. Doc said it was the worst bone bruising she had ever seen. I could not put any body weight at all on that foot within a couple of hours of the incident. Ended up not being able to even walk without a makeshift cane. That foot didn't feel 100% back to normal until about 8 months later.

So yeah, not a near miss there.... It sucked.

I can imagine Randy’s leg being thrown from that distance: could have been crippling.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice post.
Helmets are fairly cheap, like under 20 bucks. If you are shopping you want to look under the brim where you will see the ansi rating. You want a class g (general) or even better a class e (electrical)has a higher electrical rating but meets the impact and puncture standard of a class g.
there are type 1 and type 2. Type 1 is intended for top impact only and has a suspension system. Type 2 also protects from side impact. The inside is filled with foam. The also are hot as the three hinges to hell.
Normally a lifespan is considered about 5 years for the outer shell and 1 year for the suspension from the time it was put in use. You can test a helmet by squeezing the sides of the brim into the center and watch the sides go back into shape. If it cracks. Obviously take it out of service.
UV rays degrade the plastic try to keep the hard hat out of sunlight when not in use.

I have seen hard hats save lives and the hard hats were older than 10 years old.

We are now being told that the years in service is somewhat relative, & not to throw one out just because of the stamped date.

We’ve been advised to do the test as you mentioned, along with a thorough inspection, & if the hat passes, it’s still good.

Maybe the rules are different at the Power Company.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Excellent post!
I look forward to hearing from both the pro loggers and the weekend wanna-bees.
I came here for exactly this type of discussion.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Clogger Zeros
a0dba5ee274edbbe27eff8197f425d9a.jpg

Go up 1 size so you’ve got the freedom you seek.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are now being told that the years in service is somewhat relative, & not to throw one out just because of the stamped date.

We’ve been advised to do the test as you mentioned, along with a thorough inspection, & if the hat passes, it’s still good.

Maybe the rules are different at the Power Company.

I believe this to be true. The big thing is test and inspect regularly.

From a company perspective the policy must match the manufacturers recommendations. And helmets are so cheap... why not

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Head Protection that I own for myself and/or whomever is working with me.

1. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1726
+
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=16881

2. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15053

3. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=16200
This is an awesome helmet but a bit more fragile than the others when taking it off or storing. This helmet should be owned by a climber or someone who paid for it so they will take care of it.

4. http://www.skullbucket.com/phone/index.html
I wish I could find earmuffs to run SENAs in this one like we do the above hats.

5. STIHL 7010 888 0800 Woodcutter Helmet System A couple of my guys prefer this to a helmet: they don’t like Chin Straps. It was purchased at a local DeereStihl dealer for $20 more. I don’t wear it.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe this to be true. The big thing is test and inspect regularly.

From a company perspective the policy must match the manufacturers recommendations. And helmets are so cheap... why not

Oh I agree completely: they are so cheap why not?

The Contractors are more than happy for us to watch them inspect their hard hats if it means they can continue to wear their favorite hard hat.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A plastic Husky 6pt suspension helmet saved my bacon one day about 2 years ago when a 6" limb fell & hit me square on the head. It kind of deflected the blow and while I was a little shaken I was completely OK. Had I not been wearing it at minimum would have been off to hospital for stitches, very possibly a lot more... I was simply gob-smacked as to how effective them helmets are, they can absorb a serious whack.

Cobby08

I’m a face down ass up guy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Head Protection that I own for myself and/or whomever is working with me.

1. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=1726
+
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=16881

2. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=15053

3. https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=16200
This is an awesome helmet but a bit more fragile than the others when taking it off or storing. This helmet should be owned by a climber or someone who paid for it so they will take care of it.

4. http://www.skullbucket.com/phone/index.html
I wish I could find earmuffs to run SENAs in this one like we do the above hats.

5. STIHL 7010 888 0800 Woodcutter Helmet System A couple of my guys prefer this to a helmet: they don’t like Chin Straps. It was purchased at a local DeereStihl dealer for $20 more. I don’t wear it.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...met-Set-with-very-high-light-penetration.aspx
This was just posted available in the NES warehouse. I think I'm going to bring one in the check it out a little better. Fortunately, most of the cutting I do is when it is ball shrinkagly cold out. Still somehow manage to sweat like crazy but I guess its better than 90 degrees out.

I obviously fly the Creamsicle flag pretty high so I try to stick to all the same but fwiw, I run the ProMark chaps, winter pants for when its cold and the ProMark Helmet.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A plastic Husky 6pt suspension helmet saved my bacon one day about 2 years ago when a 6" limb fell & hit me square on the head. It kind of deflected the blow and while I was a little shaken I was completely OK. Had I not been wearing it at minimum would have been off to hospital for stitches, very possibly a lot more... I was simply gob-smacked as to how effective them helmets are, they can absorb a serious whack.
Glad you made it out of that one. That’s a big limb to ring your bell.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup, and I like the hats with a brim as it deflects the object away from you to some degree. Full brim would be nice even if it was plastic.

hseII

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...met-Set-with-very-high-light-penetration.aspx
This was just posted available in the NES warehouse. I think I'm going to bring one in the check it out a little better. Fortunately, most of the cutting I do is when it is ball shrinkagly cold out. Still somehow manage to sweat like crazy but I guess its better than 90 degrees out.

I obviously fly the Creamsicle flag pretty high so I try to stick to all the same but fwiw, I run the ProMark chaps, winter pants for when its cold and the ProMark Helmet.

I like the orange pocket chaps.

That’s what we run with on the ground.