Hand Making Axe Handles

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the latest stick. 22” overall length, I’m going to hang a 3lb single bit on it for use as a wedge driver while felling trees. I think a straight handle will function well for this. We’ll see I guess...lol. Haven’t gotten much done on any handles in the last couple days, my lower back laid me up and it’s cold as all hell in the barn.
AAB1DC64-BDD2-4241-8A8A-3FB06A05D485.jpeg

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s funny I’ve looked at ash , elm , holly , oak and other possibilities but I’ve got one little project on the go that I will reveal when I have finished it whether it’s successful or not
White Hedge Ash is always known for its stringy fibres harder to split than forest ash it’s grain is bound together more like Elm
So this is a good wood if it’s straight enough for handles

Great thread love it
How’s your project going?

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s the latest stick. 22” overall length, I’m going to hang a 3lb single bit on it for use as a wedge driver while felling trees. I think a straight handle will function well for this. We’ll see I guess...lol. Haven’t gotten much done on any handles in the last couple days, my lower back laid me up and it’s cold as all hell in the barn.
View attachment 101104

That’s a nice strong handle

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like a hammerhead shark. LOL
Cool design. How has it worked for you?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice thread (sorry for clogging your in-box with 'likes'!)
So that I understand it, you rough out the handles while the wood is green, and finish when they are dry? How long to dry?

What are you making the wooden wedges out of?

Thanks.

Philbert

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice thread (sorry for clogging your in-box with 'likes'!)
So that I understand it, you rough out the handles while the wood is green, and finish when they are dry? How long to dry?

What are you making the wooden wedges out of?

Thanks.

Philbert
No problem on the “like bomb” lol!
Yup that’s the process in a nut shell, they dry pretty quick, a couple weeks in the house (wood stove is going). So much so that I have to moisten the surface once a day so they don’t crack. I’ve still had a couple crack issues and I’m currently hunting mills for seasoned flat sawn hickory or ash. Just hope I can find some to make that handle for the raffle. If I can’t find any it will be a couple months before the winner gets there handle...gotta do it right. Working with dried wood is the best way to do it. I’m making my wedges out of hickory heart wood, it’s harder than the sap wood and really drives in tight.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent thread. I'm about to drop some large Ash for lumber. Any special requests for the bandmill? As far as dimensions,cut pattern ect.
I’m searching for 8/4 flat sawn. At least I believe that’s the correct term. I need to be able to orient the grain parallel to the axe head like this.

Edited to correct board thickness
C2A3ACA8-AD9E-4563-A215-9C6E47AB2382.jpeg

Last edited: