Hand Making Axe Handles

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great job men. The more I follow yall the closer I get to doing my own. Question, would a 50 year old white oak tear rail from tobacco barn be to dried out to work with? As long as the grain looks good. Thanks.
Dried wood works just fine as long as you have a good rasp. The draw shave will work just be prepared to resharpen a few times in the process.

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dried wood works just fine as long as you have a good rasp. The draw shave will work just be prepared to resharpen a few times in the process.
Thanks. I have two draw shaves and a new rasp but I was wondering to just wait for fresh lumber to avoid more work. Thanks for your response.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I have two draw shaves and a new rasp but I was wondering to just wait for fresh lumber to avoid more work. Thanks for your response.
No problem. The advantage of dried wood is you won’t get any surprise cracks on the ends of your handle which is something that frustrated me a couple times. Perfect shape, then a dang crack would force me to modify it. But I’ll freely admit I don’t know how to dry wood at a rate that prevents cracks. That’s a science all by itself.

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No problem. The advantage of dried wood is you won’t get any surprise cracks on the ends of your handle which is something that frustrated me a couple times. Perfect shape, then a dang crack would force me to modify it. But I’ll freely admit I don’t know how to dry wood at a rate that prevents cracks. That’s a science all by itself.
Dam. Now you got thinking of using the old wood. I think i'll try it for my first time. Thanks for the tip.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome work AJ.

I’m going to make another handle for Jon’s raffle, I’ll make sure to post the end product in here.

That’s a fantastic idea Very thoughtful I was thinking about doing that I was going along the lines of a twisty smaller 14”-20” a sort of last minute prize