ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet it doesn't damp much, probably a lot of rebound going to ones hands.

No there isn’t much damping going on you can feel t(e strike but will try that oak one tomorrow see what it’s like
And see how it feels

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably a stupid question, but does the cold dry winters affect handle strength? Especially where the handle goes through the eye of the head. Does the wood shrink up so that the handle loosens up?
Just curious to read what you think.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 105901 View attachment 105902 Bit of a derail but I done this sledge hammer the same time made a wedge similar to one of wilhelms
How does it split wood . . . ?
The hammer, not the wedge.

Probably a stupid question, but does the cold dry winters affect handle strength? Especially where the handle goes through the eye of the head. Does the wood shrink up so that the handle loosens up?
Just curious to read what you think.
Never any issues on mine summer/winter.
Just keep the handle dry, especially the ax head end!

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 106000 Roughed another piece of oak out dunno which head too put on there
Why you teasing us like this? Just giving us a glimpse of those other pretty ladies on the red carpet. You're doing some nice work!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Iam happy tonight I’ve found a timber yard about 2 hours from me that deals in exotic hardwoods and they have some Osage orange
They got self selection bins to pick and choose from

View attachment 106124 View attachment 106125
Looks like an awesome mill to pick through. Hopefully their prices are worth the trip. I started making a handle out of a piece of ash I got from the mill tonight. Not happy being stuck with the grain in the board. I got used to picking the exact grain I wanted by splitting billets off of a log. Yes, I’m a picky beeotch. Now I’m looking forward to milling my own stuff even more.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like an awesome mill to pick through. Hopefully their prices are worth the trip. I started making a handle out of a piece of ash I got from the mill tonight. Not happy being stuck with the grain in the board. I got used to picking the exact grain I wanted by splitting billets off of a log. Yes, I’m a picky beeotch. Now I’m looking forward to milling my own stuff even more.

Yes it does look ok but I expect prices will be strong Iam passing there on the 20th so we can see what’s there