Hand Making Axe Handles

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve thought about it but don’t know jack about laminating wood and having it be strong. Could definitely create some great looking handles with dark and light layers.
Just need some good wood and some glue and clamps.
My mind is racing with thoughts! Lol

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
8:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I wanna say on this @RI Chevy is make sure you got a good solid piece of hickory or ash or oak up the centre if use gonna use it in the wood
If it’s a wall hanger the colours can be like a rainbow

I’ve been experimenting on this other project I mentioned last week
And my handle was too soft in the middle

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
International OPE wood merchants global trades I will start the business off I would love a piece of Osage orange 4x2 40” or as you would say 2x4 or a piece the same size of black locust
Like you @XP_Slinger i enquired about some black locust today at the wood merchants and darn my wallet wouldn’t play to there tune ouch painful

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
International OPE wood merchants global trades I will start the business off I would love a piece of Osage orange 4x2 40” or as you would say 2x4 or a piece the same size of black locust
Like you @XP_Slinger i enquired about some black locust today at the wood merchants and darn my wallet wouldn’t play to there tune ouch painful
That sucks AJ. Really disappointing that a decent slab of wood has to be priced like it’s something figured and fancy. The stuff I got today is just plain, non fancy rough cut 2x10. Ten board feet cost me just under $100. Can’t wait to buy my Alaskan chainsaw mill

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sucks AJ. Really disappointing that a decent slab of wood has to be priced like it’s something figured and fancy. The stuff I got today is just plain, non fancy rough cut 2x10. Ten board feet cost me just under $100. Can’t wait to buy my Alaskan chainsaw mill

It’s wrong what they charge , like your thinking on the Alaskan mill
I only wanted too go through there offcut pile and eye up some pieces that was suitable for this axe addiction but they wanted same prices as furtinure timber and at the end of the day these short offcuts would be probably cut up by workers for firewood anyways
I need to get my slacking ass In gear back in Summer of 2016 I bought a brand new woodland mills WC88 wood chipper and a brand new woodland mills HM130 bandsaw mill with track extension and 10 spare blades and road legal trailer too fix it on I haven’t even unboxed the bandsaw mill
The woodchipper I’ve worked and worked it and it’s earnt its money back paid for itself and the bandsaw mill I was going too sell the complete bandsaw outfit and get a logosol m8 but now I see the board ft prices I might think again about gett8ng it set up

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s wrong what they charge , like your thinking on the Alaskan mill
I only wanted too go through there offcut pile and eye up some pieces that was suitable for this axe addiction but they wanted same prices as furtinure timber and at the end of the day these short offcuts would be probably cut up by workers for firewood anyways
I need to get my slacking ass In gear back in Summer of 2016 I bought a brand new woodland mills WC88 wood chipper and a brand new woodland mills HM130 bandsaw mill with track extension and 10 spare blades and road legal trailer too fix it on I haven’t even unboxed the bandsaw mill
The woodchipper I’ve worked and worked it and it’s earnt its money back paid for itself and the bandsaw mill I was going too sell the complete bandsaw outfit and get a logosol m8 but now I see the board ft prices I might think again about gett8ng it set up
There ya go my friend, start a mobile milling side business that will not only make you some cash but also supply your ax addiction.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I wanna say on this @RI Chevy is make sure you got a good solid piece of hickory or ash or oak up the centre if use gonna use it in the wood
If it’s a wall hanger the colours can be like a rainbow

I’ve been experimenting on this other project I mentioned last week
And my handle was too soft in the middle
Sorry but I missed this. Are you saying the bamboo was too soft in the middle?

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry but I missed this. Are you saying the bamboo was too soft in the middle?

No bamboo , my other project was softer colourful wood in the centre and harder different shaded wood on the outside and there was too much flex I need too do it the other way round