Plebus Splederns
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta question what is the correct measurement of a cord of wood
H x W x L

You will see forestry cords of wood in the woods etc round the uk. They measure 4ft x 4ft x 8ft.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here it's 4x4x8.
Edit: or 128 cubic feet.

Great that is 3.62 cubic meters
You will see forestry cords of wood in the woods etc round the uk. They measure 4ft x 4ft x 8ft.

Yeah thanks never used cord measurements always got paid by the meterage pulp wood ,fencing , bars and timber

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No way. I can’t stand it when people ask me to remove a tree either standing or fallen and expect me to take the wood as payment. It’s usually some crap soft wood in the back yard that I can’t get a tractor or truck to. I’m sorry, no wood is worth greenbacks when it comes to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I have to eat my words. My wife got me roped into a friends and family freebie job. I haven’t seen it yet but it sounds like a huge evergreen in a city sized lot. But the lot is vacant and the tree has to be removed for a new house.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
12:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
No way. I can’t stand it when people ask me to remove a tree either standing or fallen and expect me to take the wood as payment. It’s usually some crap soft wood in the back yard that I can’t get a tractor or truck to. I’m sorry, no wood is worth greenbacks when it comes to clean up.

I do it occasionally and I generally don't need the wood. This past summer I answered an ad on facebook for free wood. It was easy to access and it was just logs. I arrived and was delighted to find about two cord of black locus. Since mossy of my wood is ash, soft maple and a little oak I figured it was a win.

On the other hand, I called a local CL ad last week and the guy wanted someone to cut in a driveway and a clearing to build. You keep the wood and have access to his splitter lol. No thanks. Don't need wood that bad. I told him I could cut for and hourly rate if he wanted to hire a cutter.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do it occasionally and I generally don't need the wood. This past summer I answered an ad on facebook for free wood. It was easy to access and it was just logs. I arrived and was delighted to find about two cord of black locus. Since mossy of my wood is ash, soft maple and a little oak I figured it was a win.

On the other hand, I called a local CL ad last week and the guy wanted someone to cut in a driveway and a clearing to build. You keep the wood and have access to his splitter lol. No thanks. Don't need wood that bad. I told him I could cut for and hourly rate if he wanted to hire a cutter.
Its funny how some think there unwanted trees are worth gold but when selling wood that split and seasoned others want to haggle or act like it ain't worth it.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That's a fact. I got hit up for a "free wood" deal the other day by a Father who's daughter has some trees down near me. I actually called Her, out of respect for Him and She has yet to return my call. We'll see.

RD35

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Guy at work had cut down a bunch of trees by his house to clear out a wooded area he wanted to make into a yard. He said if I brought my dump trailer he would load the logs and I could have them for free just to get his yard cleaned up. I got five heaped up loads on my 7' x 14' dump trailer. It was a mix of soft maple and white ash with a couple of sassafras, some hard maple, a few other odds and ends. Quite the mix. I usually only burn oak and hickory, but this was just way too easy to pass up. Dumped them out next to my woodshed, cut them up, split the blocks, and stacked it all in the woodshed. Done. (I may regret this later this winter, but so far it is burning fine in my outdoor furnace. So we'll see how it lasts! One bonus is that those 12' logs had been stacked for quite a while through the drought we had this past summer. So, it was really REALLY dry wood!)