High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Hacking a 046 together, I have questions, can y'all help?

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Last winter, thanks to OPE I put together an 044, ported it, cut the squish band etc. It really screamed, to me at least. Then it got stolen. I have other saws now for stuff I have to do and Im gonna leave them alone.

I found an 046 locally and got it home, I can putz with this one for the next few months when I have time.
I don't have much luck with the search thing, and I talk too much, so I'll be here lol.

What is the deal with the resin/composite/ plastic whatever flywheel on the 046? Do they work ok? is this gonna snap if I pull it off wrong? Should I find an aluminum one?

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
4:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last winter, thanks to OPE I put together an 044, ported it, cut the squish band etc. It really screamed, to me at least. Then it got stolen. I have other saws now for stuff I have to do and Im gonna leave them alone.

I found an 046 locally and got it home, I can putz with this one for the next few months when I have time.
I don't have much luck with the search thing, and I talk too much, so I'll be here lol.

What is the deal with the resin/composite/ plastic whatever flywheel on the 046? Do they work ok? is this gonna snap if I pull it off wrong? Should I find an aluminum one?
Sucks your saw got stolen i know how it feels.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The poly flywheel is lighter. Never heard of them having a problem

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Poly FW will be just fine. It has a metal hub/sub structure. If you’re gonna pull the FW off it’s definitely worth getting the proper puller. They’re cheap and plentiful on eBay.

This is the type of puller you’d want to use

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLYWHEEL-PU...tem52222e1f6f:g:HyMAAOSwtvtVVhJu&LH_Auction=1

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cool, then its staying with the saw. I have a puller on the way, I was gonna make one but Im not 25 anymore I just wanna pay for the *s-word these days lol.

I bought a drain plug at Napa that has the same threads as the I.D. of the flywheels and have been looking at it for three months telling myself I was gonna do it at work quick, nah, Im just too lazy now.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some tools showed up, plates to block exhaust for testing etc, I could have made these but *s-word, for the price.......
One thing that didn't show up was the ones for the carb side.

This fancy setup is a PB Blaster cap with the ridges on the inside removed with an X-acto knife, a little blood on it and an o-ring in the groove
where the intake boot goes. It sealed well, but the decomp valve leaks, so I am gonna try to find plugs that size at Napa.IMG_3528-1.jpeg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some tools showed up, plates to block exhaust for testing etc, I could have made these but *s-word, for the price.......
One thing that didn't show up was the ones for the carb side.

This fancy setup is a PB Blaster cap with the ridges on the inside removed with an X-acto knife, a little blood on it and an o-ring in the groove
where the intake boot goes. It sealed well, but the decomp valve leaks, so I am gonna try to find plugs that size at Napa.View attachment 196279
Can usually twist and hold the decomp out to get it to seal for the vacuum test. I've never seen a new decomp hold for vacuum

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you guys do any work to the windows in the piston for the transfers? I was thinking if the new meteor piston has casting flash on it like the stock one does I would at least remove that.

Does anyone change the shape or size of the windows?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you guys do any work to the windows in the piston for the transfers? I was thinking if the new meteor piston has casting flash on it like the stock one does I would at least remove that.

Does anyone change the shape or size of the windows?
There’s not really much gain there, but my ocd makes me grind the casting flash off anyway

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There’s not really much gain there, but my ocd makes me grind the casting flash off anyway

Cool, thank you.

The meteor piston will be here tomorrow and I can start working on this thing. I measured the squish with the stock piston and no gasket, it didn't squish the .025 lead wire I use. So, should I cut the squish band unit I have a certain amount of surface area? like a ratio that relates to the area of the bore? and then cut the base until I have the squish correct?

And this is assuming the new piston measures like the replacement. I will measure the new one first

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems odd that you have more than .025 with no gasket. But if that is the case I’d still take at least .020 out of squish then lower the jug like you said to get desired squish.

Usually I take port timing numbers first then decide how much I want to machine the jug.