Hackberry vs Red Oak

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep...I concur...averaging them out does seem the most sensible as well as practical. There are a heap of charts that run the gamut both ways.
I'm not turning down too much of either of them.
We're overrun with Red Oak in my region.
Just don't see the Mulberry like I use to when I was younger...of course I was dodging anything that remotely resembled manual labor also! :couch:
This year I am overstocked with both hackberry and mulberry -- at least five cords of hackberry and 10 cords of mulberry. My biggest customer doesn't want any of it. He's an oak, ash, hard maple, and walnut freak and I'm short on all of them (thanks to him).

Usually I mix elm in with every load of mulberry and hackberry that I deliver. Customers really say that the combination of all three makes a wonderful fireplace fire. They just have to remember to drop the mulberry logs to the back of the grate.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How times do change. I suddenly acquired at least six cords of ash and none of it is punky. A tree removal company knocked down two 80-year-old ash trees that had been standing dead for two years. Then they asked me to take the big stuff away. So, I did.

Many of the rounds had to be noodle cut into quarters in order to load them. I simply used an Echo CS-670 with a 28" bar on board. That worked very well and it all splits beautifully with very low moisture content and no bugs (ants, beetles, etc.). Needless to say, it was a gold mine.

Scotty Overkill

Serial Tree Killer
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hackberry seasons quicker than red oak, but as many others have said, gotta keep it off the ground and I'd recommend top-covering it.

As for red oak, thats a wood that I go out of my way for. But it takes longer to season out than most other woods because of its cellular structure. I give it two to three years C/S/S for optimal seasoning.

I'm almost 6 years ahead on my firewood stash so it all gets stacked together anyway.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very little locust here. I'm not sure if it's our elevation, or if it was killed out when being used for fence posts years ago.
I hear ya.
Just got back from South Bend and they have literal forests full of locust black & honey.
Saw plenty just laying on the ground...aimlessly...like lost souls!:crybaby2::babeando:
Hey you get sec, take a look at my post about my MS261c throwing the washer/sprocket off as I was cranking here and give me your thoughts/council. "MS261C Easy Fix?"
Missing the Cir-Clip...whats the best method of installing it, if I don't have a tool?
Appreciate it Mastermind!!:clap:

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya.
Just got back from South Bend and they have literal forests full of locust black & honey.
Saw plenty just laying on the ground...aimlessly...like lost souls!:crybaby2::babeando:
Hey you get sec, take a look at my post about my MS261c throwing the washer/sprocket off as I was cranking here and give me your thoughts/council. "MS261C Easy Fix?" Missing the Cir-Clip...What's the best method of installing it, if I don't have a tool?
Appreciate it Mastermind!!:clap:
You are talking about the E-clip that holds the washer for the clutch onto the crankshaft?

If so, I just make sure that the E-clip is started into the shaft's groove by hand with the open ends pointing down. Then I get a pair of pliers and press it down into the groove. Pliers work the best for me, simple and sweet. You need that tool. I doubt that you can do it with your fingernails.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a flathead screw driver and put downward pressure on the top of the clip. Snaps right into place.
Another alternative that I have used. I think he should try both ways and report back to us. I use a rather small screwdriver to remove the E-clip and the pliers to install it again. I wonder how it is going to be done in North Alabama?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E-Clips it is.
Just ordered a few & a pin needle...it seems to have flown the coop as well.:lily:
I'll try all of the above...got pliers...got flat head screwdrivers galore...got small screwdrivers.
Local shop rate is running close to $89 an hr!
I was in a crazy hurry slamming the new chain on and tightening the chain...must of done something goofy!:facepalm::eusa_doh:
I'll report back when she's done...
Thanks Again guys

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E-Clips it is.
Just ordered a few & a pin needle...it seems to have flown the coop as well.:lily:
I'll try all of the above...got pliers...got flat head screwdrivers galore...got small screwdrivers.
Local shop rate is running close to $89 an hr!
I was in a crazy hurry slamming the new chain on and tightening the chain...must of done something goofy!:facepalm::eusa_doh:
I'll report back when she's done...
Thanks Again guys

Glad to see these capable fellers got you covered.

I've been baling and hauling hay for several days.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad to see these capable fellers got you covered.

I've been baling and hauling hay for several days.

Mighty fine guys we got here at OPE!
Baling & Hauling hay!!!:eek:
Dang!! Sounds a lot like WORK!! LOL
I need to bale & haul something, so I can lose this ever-increasing body mass!!:laufband::cbiggrin2:

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW Randy,
A tad off topic, but what ever became of the stud known as, "nmurph"?:confundio1::couch:

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think so. He quit the forums. Last post on AS was 4/2015. As far as why he quit, I will let somebody else fill in that blank. @Mastermind may be able to answer that question.
Ok...no biggie...just wondering.
Almost bought a saw from him yrs ago on AS.
Thinking back on some guys I ran across when I 1st encountered CAD!!