Guide Bar Info Thread.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed. This logger is noted for running his chains too loose with lots of slack and seldom flips the bar to even out wear. I imagine the bar threw the chain once or twice when too loose and he decided to say good bye to the bar. The bar had hardly any side flare out wear, so practrically no machining is required by me to save it.
Few guys I fix saws for want flip them either. So I do it when they bring them in for me to fix something else. Funny though that they want do it themselves but when I do it they leave it

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few guys I fix saws for want flip them either. So I do it when they bring them in for me to fix something else. Funny though that they want do it themselves but when I do it they leave it
Lots of men are superstitious. A guy told me once that he always had bad luck cutting wood with a flipped bar. He said that it confused the saw. I just about died laughing when I heard that one. :rolleyes:

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of men are superstitious. A guy told me once that he always had bad luck cutting wood with a flipped bar. He said that it confused the saw. I just about died laughing when I heard that one. :rolleyes:
Lmao. Bad luck and it confuses the saw. That right there is funny

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I had a lady once bring back a saw that I had sharpened once, and said, "My husband said that you must not be much of a saw mechanic, if you don't know how to put a bar the right side up!!!"
I tried explaining to her about things, and she refused to listen, and wanted me to put the bar on "correctly".
I refused, said that her husband should bring the saw back to me and I would explain it to him.
She left in a huff...
I went out of business shortly thereafter.......

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a lady once bring back a saw that I had sharpened once, and said, "My husband said that you must not be much of a saw mechanic, if you don't know how to put a bar the right side up!!!"
I tried explaining to her about things, and she refused to listen, and wanted me to put the bar on "correctly".
I refused, said that her husband should bring the saw back to me and I would explain it to him.
She left in a huff...
I went out of business shortly thereafter.......
Some disagree with me on things so I usually do it they’re way. Then I show them what I was talking about when they bring it back to be corrected lol

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had another wife come in with a list of parts her husband gave her, wanting me to order them for her. It was spindle parts for a Murray riding mower. I tried to sell her the complete jackshaft housing and shaft, etc.. And explained to her to just use regular hardware store bolts, but she had the individual parts list breaking down the spindle{bearings, spacers, etc.}.
I refused her too.
She went and talked to the owner, and so on. When she brought the owner back in, I explained it to him, and he agreed.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Fish, haven't seen you post in a while. Good to know you are still with us.

Keep this on track, on my latest acquisition the bar had not been flipped and had a lot more wear on one side than the other so I flipped it.

20171218_200020.jpg

Mark

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have never really ran a saw with a roller nose, do you notice any difference?
Benefit?
Great to hear from you.

Yes, I am still around, still hated......

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fish makes me laugh...

Roller nose is nice to look at and works well enough for a cookie cutter. They don't really work well actually harvesting wood since any little twig or chip that can get caught in the gap between the bar and the roller nose will stop them up. Not recommended for plunge cuts or anything larger in diameter than the bar.

Here's a style of bar to ponder. One size fits most...

IMAG0432.jpg

Mark

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
8:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Fish makes me laugh...

Roller nose is nice to look at and works well enough for a cookie cutter. They don't really work well actually harvesting wood since any little twig or chip that can get caught in the gap between the bar and the roller nose will stop them up. Not recommended for plunge cuts or anything larger in diameter than the bar.

View attachment 102325

Mark
Is that a Windsor made bar?

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fish makes me laugh...

View attachment 102325

Mark
Dang. How many different saws will that thing fit

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m also curious to know if there’s a way to measure the bar length to figure out how long the chain needs to be.

For a standard rim if you hang the bar in a chain you should have 7 drive links past the tail of the bar.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a quick note on sprocket noses. I once removed 20' of fishing line from a customer's chain saw bar's sprocket nose. But, that's not the record. Last year I removed 50' of fishing line from another customer's inside clutch housing, wrapped around the bearing. Can you figure out how that got there?

I thought chain saws were not supposed to be used to catch fish.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a good question. Did the customer know it was there