Guide Bar Info Thread.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you mean Stihl labeled bars made by someone else for Stihl or others adapted to fit Stihls?
Other bars made by other MFG's that fit Stihl saws, (Oregon, Raismann, Forester, Carlton, etc.). These all carry the label of the MFG. Most work very well but get criticized frequently for being cheap imitations.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other bars made by other MFG's that fit Stihl saws, (Oregon, Raismann, Forester, Carlton, etc.). These all carry the label of the MFG. Most work very well but get criticized frequently for being cheap imitations.
Well as long as they last and do what they are supposed to what difference should it make right

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
kinda goes hand and hand........ Rims and Sprockets

Attachments

• Sprocket Cross Ref.pdf
    236.4 KB · Views: 16
  • SPROCKETS GB.pdf
    837 KB · Views: 11
  • Sprockets Dimensions.pdf
    381.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Sprockets Oregon.pdf
    99.9 KB · Views: 9

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is amazing how many Stihl saws at GTG's arrive with bars made by other MFG's. Not sure what causes this, but it's probably worth a discussion.
I know for me it' cause of cost. HL bar for $15 bucks on sale or $40 for the Stihl.

I hear the Stihl light bars are good but I'm just a piss reving hobbyist so no need for that lol.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know for me it' cause of cost. HL bar for $15 bucks on sale or $40 for the Stihl.

I hear the Stihl light bars are good but I'm just a piss reving hobbyist so no need for that lol.
Yes sir me too. Bout all I cut is firewood for shop and older people that need it and can’t do it anymore

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
6:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Yes sir me too. Bout all I cut is firewood for shop and older people that need it and can’t do it anymore
Wait? What!?

You guys actually run your saws? Are you fugging crazy? Don't you know chainsaws are dangerous, not to mention, incredibly loud. I'm scared for you guys.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wait? What!?

You guys actually run your saws? Are you fugging crazy? Don't you know chainsaws are dangerous, not to mention, incredibly loud. I'm scared for you guys.

I got to use something to cut tires off wheels before I scrap them.

Apparently burning tires is frowned upon.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I got to use something to cut tires off wheels before I scrap them.

Apparently burning tires is frowned upon.
We used to burn them at high school parties in the woods.damn thet burn hot and big.reminds me of one time we did it and sherriffs showed up we were burning a pile of old tractor tires. The deputys said they could see it for miles.they made us dump our coolers and go home.after fire dept. Showed needless to say they wernt to happy. That was good ole days.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Double double toil and trouble, fire burn and caldron bubble. I thought this was a chain saw guide bar information thread. Guess I was wrong.o_O

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Eehhh a little derail but it’ll be ok. I like all this information from y’all. Haven’t read all of it but I’ve gone through some of it and downloaded to phone and will add to computer. Thanks everybody. I know it’s helping more than just me.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Bailey's 36 cent guide bar gauge trick' - for 'quick and dirty estimation like at a garage sale)':
dime - .050 (0.053)
penny - .058 (0.0598 inches)
quarter - .063 (0.069 inches)

Automotive feeler gauges are more precise.

*** Another option is to buy, or break off, a few, new drive links of 0.043, 0.050, 0.058, and 0.063 chain, and keep them on a key ring for reference. This would also be helpful for seeing what chains will fit into a worn guide bar ***
(if you were really nice, you could make these up and give them out to friends!)

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like these plastic 'gauges' for measuring chain pitch, but they are only OK (IMO) for measuring guide bar gauge, especially in worn grooves:

Chain Gauge Measuring Tools.png

For guide bar grooves, I prefer something more solid. Especially when seeing what will fit a worn bar, or to drag it around the bar to look for pinches or tight spots. This is an example of a set of sample chains that a very nice A.S. member picked up for me at a trade show. I am thinking a much smaller version of this would be really handy to have hanging on a nail for measuring bar groove / gauge:
Chain Samples.jpg

Philbert

Last edited:

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like these plastic 'gauges' for measuring chain pitch, but they are only OK (IMO) for measuring guide bar gauge, especially in worn grooves:

View attachment 101936

For guide bar grooves, I prefer something more solid. Especially when seeing what will fit a worn bar, or to drag it around the bar to look for pinches or tight spots. This is an example of a set of sample chains that a very nice A.S. member picked up for me at a trade show. I am thinking a much smaller version of this would be really handy to have hanging on a nail for measuring bar groove / gauge:
View attachment 101935

Philbert
I’ve got some of the red gauges when I ordered from fordf150. Those key chains are cool too

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Bailey's 36 cent guide bar gauge trick' - for 'quick and dirty estimation like at a garage sale)':
dime - .050 (0.053)
penny - .058 (0.0598 inches)
quarter - .063 (0.069 inches)

Automotive feeler gauges are more precise.

*** Another option is to buy, or break off, a few, new drive links of 0.043, 0.050, 0.058, and 0.063 chain, and keep them on a key ring for reference. This would also be helpful for seeing what chains will fit into a worn guide bar ***
(if you were really nice, you could make these up and give them out to friends!)

Philbert
I just made three gauges with three coins using this tip. It was easy to use an old quarter, an old penny, and an old dime to get right on three-place accuracy. I'm storing them in my truck's change container. Philbert, you just plain amaze me sometimes. :)

Proof is in the pudding. A sawyer gave me a used 36" Stihl bar last month that he says was "grooved out" and too wide to use. I checked it with the old quarter all the way around the bar. Good fit all the way and the groove's depth was fine also. So, I might just add a new sprocket nose. Amazing what sawyers throw away. I'll use this bar myself in early spring.

Last edited:

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just made three gauges with three coins using this tip. It was easy to use an old quarter, an old penny, and an old dime to get right on three-place accuracy. I'm storing them in my truck's change container. Philbert, you just plain amaze me sometimes. :)

Proof is in the pudding. A sawyer gave me a used 36" Stihl bar last month that he says was "grooved out" and too wide to use. I checked it with the old quarter all the way around the bar. Good fit all the way and the groove's depth was fine also. So, I might just add a new sprocket nose. Amazing what sawyers throw away. I'll use this bar myself in early spring.
Good for you though :)

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good for you though. :)
Agreed. This logger is noted for running his chains too loose with lots of slack and seldom flips the bar to even out wear. I imagine the bar threw the chain once or twice when too loose and he decided to say good bye to the bar. The bar had hardly any side flare out wear, so practrically no machining is required by me to save it.