Growing very disfond of Stihl 019Ts

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can anyone say anything positive about repairing or making an Stihl 019s run again. I can sure give you a list of what you are going to run into.
I repaired an 019, adjusted the high and low turned idle screw and made a few cuts. Put it down and picked it up to work the chain the following night and that friggin lil saw wont even make an effort to run. Well maybe ever 20 pulls it spits and sputters. Wet plug. So I pulled saw back apart and replaced carb with known working carb and still nothing. The team that invented those saws, I would like to give each one of them the big number 1!!!

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea plenty of spark. Tried NGK, Bosch and junk champion. The flywheel key is broke so I thought maybe timing was off, but nope.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 019ts are susceptible to fuel line and intake problems. The early ones also had a run of carburetors that were bad.

Many years ago when I was working at a dealership, I found two complete saws and one parts rig in the back of the shop. The owner of the company gave them all to me for free and my initial reaction was "score!" After rebuilding them though, I hated them with a passion.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New fuel line with cleaned rebuilt carb when it ran. Next night same setup and wont start. Zama carb with H and L settings. Replaced carb with known working Zama carb only L setting and still no start up. So I cant answer the spark when hot question. But yes hot spark while pulling. It would still start if the tank vent wasn't working.
The 200 is a much better choice.
The only one I hate worse is the 015. I got a handful of them if anyone needs parts.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I chanced upon a very clean 015 that belonged to a doctor.With a case,4 extra chains,1/4" .I got it for my wifes cousin who cannot handle a large saw because of back trouble .He brought it back only once and after I blew about a coffee cup full of chips from the air cleaner it ran like a champ .I didn't think it was a bad little saw .I have never seen an 019 .

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use an 019T as my climbing saw. Granted I don't use it all that often but for the years I've had it, it has worked out fine. I did replace the oiler once but other than that, no issues...

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any saw that runs isn't a bad saw. Any 015 that doesn't run is a bad saw. I guess most top handles can be a bit$%. You have to pull half the saw apart to find the carb and then put half it back together to find out you didn't solve the problem.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I chanced upon a very clean 015 that belonged to a doctor.With a case,4 extra chains,1/4" .I got it for my wifes cousin who cannot handle a large saw because of back trouble .He brought it back only once and after I blew about a coffee cup full of chips from the air cleaner it ran like a champ .I didn't think it was a bad little saw .I have never seen an 019 .
Remind me not to go to that doctor....

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any saw that runs isn't a bad saw. Any 015 that doesn't run is a bad saw. I guess most top handles can be a bit$%. You have to pull half the saw apart to find the carb and then put half it back together to find out you didn't solve the problem.
The older top handle saws are a dream to work on compared to the newer ones. A Poulan top handle is about the easiest thing you can work on..