High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Groundhog hunting

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
They stand up when you whistle. I got one at 405 yards with a 300 RUM one summer. I shot 50-60 that year. Being laid off and plenty of time to do it was great. I'd carry the 22 with open sights for stuff under 100 yards and the 300 Ultra for over that. If the bullet expanded the damage was huge. If not it just went through and they would bleed out. One folded like an accordion at around 100 yards and all that was left was the back and feet with the head. 223 in an AR is what I use now. I would like to take some shots with the new 6.5 out to 500 now.
Lmao 300 ultra one hell of a round for those guys. Good to know they stand up when you whistle.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
243 is a great cartridge for hogs. I've killed two unarmed. They are nasty if you get between them and their hole. I had a hitch pin for one A lot of stomping on the other. They are hell on soybeans so I don't really feel like a sick maniac for beating them down. Around here we used to carry rifles and shoot them from the road. Kinda tough to do that now. People get way too excited and call the law for dumb *s-word.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
243 is a great cartridge for hogs. I've killed two unarmed. They are nasty if you get between them and their hole. I had a hitch pin for one A lot of stomping on the other. They are hell on soybeans so I don't really feel like a sick maniac for beating them down. Around here we used to carry rifles and shoot them from the road. Kinda tough to do that now. People get way too excited and call the law for dumb *s-word.
Remind me never to get in your bean field lol

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

LOL that reminds me of riding around in the jeep cj7 back in 84 with the door off to ambush prairie dogs. Jump out and get them with the flashlight before they would get back to their hole.

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When my son was about 6, we had been out shooting 22's and the conversation was centered around not only safety but was also big on hunter ethics.

Once home and things had been put away, he ran into the house. "The groundhog that's been tearing up the barn is out there!"

I grabbed my 303 Brit and from 75 yards, that thing did somersaults. While we examined what was left, he looked at me and said "Does this mean we have to eat it now?"

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like the 220 swift as well its kinda of a tossup for me on the swift and 204, both are great calibers,the swift is a legend in its own right.204 ammo is easier to find and on the 220 swift you have to be careful hsndloading it with the rimmed case.she will hang up om you the ruger m77 in 220 swift is a great gun. 204 will be next purxhase ive shot it like iy and done lots of reading on it its impressive

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I grew up in a woods, hunting and fishing damn near daily....I have seen a lot of things, but I got a good scare when I heard a ground hog whistle!!!

I ran threw the woods most of the times with my 22 magnum (savage rifle).....I have shot many ground hogs, but only heard a few whistle....I am hear to tell you it is a loud whistle, hard to describe....I have told people about this, but I can tell many do NOT believe me.....

Having been around them so much and shooting a lot, it's not something a lot, it's strange....

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I grew up in a woods, hunting and fishing damn near daily....I have seen a lot of things, but I got a good scare when I heard a ground hog whistle!!!

I ran threw the woods most of the times with my 22 magnum (savage rifle).....I have shot many ground hogs, but only heard a few whistle....I am hear to tell you it is a loud whistle, hard to describe....I have told people about this, but I can tell many do NOT believe me.....

Having been around them so much and shooting a lot, it's not something a lot, it's strange....
Thats funny i never heard one do it i did the same thing one time deer hunting i heard a fox bark when i was younger in the woods for the first time it scared the hell out of me .