Grey Echo CS8000 compression spec

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently picked up a grey CS-8000. It starts easily and runs well despite compression reading of just 135# Everything looks great through the exhaust. It has two thin rings.

I hope someone can tell me the acceptable compression range for this saw, Type 1E, serial 001450.

Also, what's the latest on using the newer domed piston with this jug?

And does mounting the husqv460 carb require much modification?Or is there a better alternative? My cs8000 has an HDA 153B.

Thanks for the help. Don

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have zero experience with that model, but it sounds a touch low. I always recommend checking a known good saw with your compression gauge before you make any conclusions about another saw because of your low compression reading, compression tester’s can be off, elevation also has a role in low compression readings. It also depends on the style of compression tester you have as well, how many pulls you make to get your reading can also be a variable as well

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also hold throttle wide open to get as much air as possible.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no confidence that my compression tester is accurate, but it reads above 150 on most of my good running saws. Still I would like to know what Echo recommends as a minimum.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
135 is typical on the low side for a pro saw, but gages are not always accurate! If it runs well and dosent have tuning issues then you are ok, thin ring pistons can sometimes read low and run well. How dose compression feel when you pull it over? What is your elevation? What is your technique for testing? Hot or cold? If your not testing it cold with the throttle open and pulling it as hard as you can until it stops and are at sea level, your compression test will be off, and after all that you need a good gage.

DigB

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks BigMac -- Compression feels pretty good and it does start reliably. I am about 500 feet above sea level. Tested cold it took about 8 pulls to peak out.

This morning I replaced the broken brake band and pulled the screen and some other obstructions from the muffler. I will use it a bit before deciding about deleting the base gasket and replacing the rings at least, or installing a new domed piston.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Per service manual 130 psi is considered normal.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thin ring set ups don't typically generate as high of a compression reading as thick rings.