High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Grasshopper 721D?

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
4:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello all. I've got an opportunity for a trade + cash to go from a 2005 60" Hustler Super Z with a 24hp Honda V-twin and bagger (which it doesn't have enough power to run well in the summer for my conditions) to a Grasshopper 721D with the 722cc 21hp Kubota 3cyl diesel engine. I'm not sure of the hours on the 721 but I think they're near 700 and mine has 256.8 currently. I hear that the rear discharge decks require less power to run (for their size) so I am wondering if a loss of 3hp (advertised) will make much difference given the diesel's torque.

I intend to arrange for a demo once the unit comes in as I'm mowing around 6 acres weekly. I really like the fact that being a font deck the decks are easily interchangeable from rear to side discharge and to other tools, not to mention that it would be nice to go back to a front deck for the edging concerns.

What I want to know is has anyone else had any experience with the 721D or that size Kubota engine to give me a decent idea of longevity and how well it does trying to power a 60" deck in heavier cutting conditions...

The one other nice thing about this engine is that it's the same footprint and bolt patter as it's bigger 900+ cc 28hp brother, so an engine swap would be easy if more performance was needed...

Hee's what may be getting sold or traded in:
Hustler.jpg

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
you will like the torque of that kubota and the front mount deck makes it a breeze getting under shrubs and bushes. they haul ass and cut well in tall grass and with a hard bin bagger they perform well try it is all i can say is get the 61''.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Avoid at all cost. I had one and it was a nickel and dimer . I was always working on it mainly the deck, it was a side discharge. It would eat starters and alternators, which btw are $200 each. And if you wanted to mow or just move it in sub 60° weather good luck hope you have a good supply of ether. And miNE was a low hour for a grasshopper maybe 1000hrs at trade in.

I traded for a deere z950r and never looked back. They are so much faster and the 27 horse kawasaki never backs down, even with a 72"deck, and don't complain about sweater weather.

I do miss the front mount for working around trees, but for everything I gained I will live with it.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Avoid at all cost. I had one and it was a nickel and dimer . I was always working on it mainly the deck, it was a side discharge. It would eat starters and alternators, which btw are $200 each. And if you wanted to mow or just move it in sub 60° weather good luck hope you have a good supply of ether. And miNE was a low hour for a grasshopper maybe 1000hrs at trade in.

I traded for a deere z950r and never looked back. They are so much faster and the 27 horse kawasaki never backs down, even with a 72"deck, and don't complain about sweater weather.

I do miss the front mount for working around trees, but for everything I gained I will live with it.
you couldn't live with out the cub cadet, the world was gonna end if you didn't get it lol.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I need a tach to check it with. I'm not sure the rpms are right. Other than that I can't complain. But that 721 was a pile from the day it got drug in. There was a time that I wouldn't have gave it up for nothing, now I have seen the light and will never own either a grasshopper or a skag again.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i own a gravely no problems except wearing out spindles,belts,idlers.