Good batt brand

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who makes a automotive type batt that holds up anymore?
Getting sick of replacing them Every year. Any ideas would be great.
Interstate definitely is out.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems most all manufacturers kinda suck in the battery arena nowadays. Interstate was a damn good battery decades ago but nowhere near what they used to be as far as for vehicle, deep cycle RV or fishing/trolling batteries!

AC-Delco is damn good but pricey...but if you're going through one every year, might be something to look at!

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are replacing a battery every year, something else is going on .

It’s hit or miss around here. I buy the blemished batteries from the local interstate battery place. They are called Econo batteries. $50 for the common group 24 any side post. New interstate is 96 dollars.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are replacing a battery every year, something else is going on .

It’s hit or miss around here. I buy the blemished batteries from the local interstate battery place. They are called Econo batteries. $50 for the common group 24 any side post. New interstate is 96 dollars.

I do the same and the one in my car is still going after 5 years. The one one in my 91 suburban with a winch drawing off of it is at the 3 year mark.

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lost three this winter. Just bought one reman from a local guy because they are cheap.
But the batt in my truck is shot again. I bought the top of the line Wal-Mart batt two years ago with the three year free replacement. Have already had three or four. Lost count.
One more new one and it's time for something better. Sick of having to take a jumper pack everywhere.
Gussing the vibrations are doing it in.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I lost three this winter. Just bought one reman from a local guy because they are cheap.
But the batt in my truck is shot again. I bought the top of the line Wal-Mart batt two years ago with the three year free replacement. Have already had three or four. Lost count.
One more new one and it's time for something better. Sick of having to take a jumper pack everywhere.
Gussing the vibrations are doing it in.

Could be, what are they failing in?
And have you looked at Optima or another dry cell option ?

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was decades ago, but I had a stock AC-Delco in a brand new '86 S-10 Tahoe pickup...last 14 yrs! And probably left the interior lights on, etc, etc, and drained it dead on probably a dozen occasions throughout the decade and a half I owned the truck.

I'm like Stihlbro...something else has got to be going on. Could be vibration like you mention, but I think would be a long shot.

Go to Academy and look at Exide batteries. I know some folks been running them for years. I run Exide deep cycles in my bass boat...ain't missed a beat in a couple of years and will last all wknd trolling all day/all night.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All batteries are made by a few companies. Just rebadged. It’s not like it was years ago. But Joey is right. Something else is up or you just hit the lottery on bad batteries.
Batteries can also be converted to salt batteries for an extended life.

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
East Penn makes batteries with many names on them.
Deka is one and a good one.
O Reilly batteries were East Penn, the part #s were the same.
The AGM type batteries are good for vibrating, bouncing, abuse like mowers trucks, boats etc.
Absorbed glass mat, AGM is all position and even if cracked it has gell for liquid and doesn't leak.
They make a patch kit for cracks too.

The 3 AGMs in the boat are 8 years and still good.
Got 12 years out of the Deka golf cart batteries, use only distilled water in them.

Steve Taylor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up Going with re man battery's. Found a local guy that does them cheep. 35$ each with core. New ones are not holding up so might as well go that way but thanks everyone.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got 8 years from the 2 AC Delcos that came in my Duramax Diesel. I replaced them with 2 AGM batteries from Sears. So far so good.
I believe they are made by Odyssey/Enersys.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got 8 years from the 2 AC Delcos that came in my Duramax Diesel. I replaced them with 2 AGM batteries from Sears. So far so good.

Is your Sears still open incase you need to claim the warranty?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question. They were still going full speed back when I bought them. Not exactly sure right now. I have to check.
I got a heck of a deal on them when I bought them.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question. They were still going full speed back when I bought them. Not exactly sure right now. I have to check.
I got a heck of a deal on them when I bought them.

Are Sears auto center closed down last year and by fall the store will be closing.

Doesn't hurt my feelers to bad cuz the last time I visited them was for some wrenches they had made in China on them.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF. Too bad.
Kinda sucks though. I bought and inherited a lot of Craftsmen tools. Hopefully they keep a few stores open and continue to honor their warranty.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WTF. Too bad.
Kinda sucks though. I bought and inherited a lot of Craftsmen tools. Hopefully they keep a few stores open and continue to honor their warranty.

All the Ace hardware in town have been carrying craftsmen for a while. I got a cheap HF set that looks like and older generation craftsman. They work good, the box hold everything tight and I got it for the made in China price.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Cool.
I bought one of the big wrench kits from HF. Pittsburg brand I think. They work fine for what I use them for. Infrequent use. Price was right. Go up to 1 1/2" I think. Smallest is 3/4".