High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Golden Anniversary mower

jaed.43725

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Golden Anniversary mower.jpg So a few months back I picked up an unknown mower that says Golden Anniversary on the front of it. Turns out its a Murray. It has an old white B&S 3.5hp engine, as well as an actual throttle cable. I had to drop it off at a small engine shop and they did a full service on it. The tank had a leak, they replaced it with another one (I dont care if it matches), sharpened the blade, oil change, carb clean, new plug and wire, compression check. And the muffler broke taking it off, as it was barely holding on. So I took it to a machine shop and they got it out. Got a used muffler and screwed it in. And I tell ya, this thing beats any of those new mowers, any day. Its lighter and cuts better. And I can leave it running while I pick up sticks or whatever. Best part was I got it for free as part of a deal with buying a Lawn Boy 2-stroke for $30.

The only thing left to fix is wheel wobble. It has actual metal sleeves in the wheels, not plastic. So a good hardware store should have the parts.

jaed.43725

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have no idea. A lot of the markings are worn down.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look above the spark plug, there should be model, type, and code numbers stamped in the metal. The first 2 digits of the code is the year the engine was made.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If original, your engine has points. The electronic conversions came along in 83 or 84.

jaed.43725

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So if it's original then it's pretty old. But I tell you what, hit the primer 2x at the most, and 1 maybe 2 pulls and it fires right up. It cuts better and is more reliable than any new mower I've ever seen.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Primer?

That is not original!!!!

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It would have been the old bimetallic choke system. It had a little box on the side of the carb with the spring in it. The primer is in my opinion a better carb setup. The shop probably switched it out with the tank since the carb bolts to the top of the tank. The early tanks are different so the new style carb will not fit. If the tank had a leak the old style are no longer available, so the upgraded to the newer one.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It would have been the old bimetallic choke system. It had a little box on the side of the carb with the spring in it. The primer is in my opinion a better carb setup. The shop probably switched it out with the tank since the carb bolts to the top of the tank. The early tanks are different so the new style carb will not fit. If the tank had a leak the old style are no longer available, so the upgraded to the newer one.
Or likely they just had a junk mower with a bent crankshaft they stole it off of.
diagram.gif

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember mowers like that for around $39 new in the 70's and $59 in the 80's. Most were 3 or 3.5 horse, 4 horse was rare and commercial mostly. In tall wet grass every 1/2 horse increase made a huge difference.