High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Going to try out a Dol-Kita 4300 this weekend :)

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So I'm up here in Cape Vincent NY visiting my in-laws for the long holiday weekend. Sitting here in Pop's garage I spy a new little saw on his saw cart. He told me awhile back that his local hole-in-the-wall Dolmar dealer quoted him $275 including sales tax for a 421. Well this apparently was a little while ago, because the Dol-Kita was just about $100 more than that out the door. Anyway, this is my first chance to check out one of these saws first hand, and so far I'm impressed with the quality of the build on this little 42cc. I brought a couple of my saws with me to put a dent in their log pile, and I'm gonna make sure and try this little bugger out. I think it will make a great counterpart to his 6400. He doesn't like running the 6400 any more at his age and with decades old ailments.

Here is a couple pics I snapped, I didn't know you could get a red and black Makita. I like the red/black better than the blue.
IMG_20170526_112709357.jpg IMG_20170526_112654252.jpg IMG_20170526_112709357.jpg IMG_20170526_112654252.jpg IMG_20170526_112709357.jpg IMG_20170526_112654252.jpg

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I just got done gutting the cat out of the muffler for Pop. (Thank you Dolmar for making that job so easy!)) Also, knowing I would have to retune it, I was able to make a driver to work on the high speed jet out of a piece of 1/4" steel brake line and a little trial and error squishing it with pliers making the two flat sides to fit the tamper resistant "double D" shaped head on the jet. I did have to grind the outside of it with a bench grinder a little bit to level out the high spots so it would fit into the jet head housing. It doesn't work perfect, but I am now able to adjust the high speed as needed now. The low side has no restrictor whatsoever.

So I left it tuned a little fat for break in and tried a couple tuning cuts on some 8-10" hard maple in the log pile. Even tuned safe rich for break in, this little saw pulls well. I told Pop I would retune it for a little more power after he gets 5 or 6 tanks through it to break it in.

So far, I give this little saw 5 stars out of 5. I plan to run it more when we start working on the log pile. :)

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I just got done gutting the cat out of the muffler for Pop. (Thank you Dolmar for making that job so easy!)) Also, knowing I would have to retune it, I was able to make a driver to work on the high speed jet out of a piece of 1/4" steel brake line and a little trial and error squishing it with pliers making the two flat sides to fit the tamper resistant "double D" shaped head on the jet. I did have to grind the outside of it with a bench grinder a little bit to level out the high spots so it would fit into the jet head housing. It doesn't work perfect, but I am now able to adjust the high speed as needed now. The low side has no restrictor whatsoever.

So I left it tuned a little fat for break in and tried a couple tuning cuts on some 8-10" hard maple in the log pile. Even tuned safe rich for break in, this little saw pulls well. I told Pop I would retune it for a little more power after he gets 5 or 6 tanks through it to break it in.

So far, I give this little saw 5 stars out of 5. I plan to run it more when we start working on the log pile. :)
Joe....remember it has a RPM limiter in the coil so can be a little deceptive as to what sounds like 4 stroking (have you a TAC with you? ) ...just a heads up as its not your saw ;)...not to say you "Wont" have a Dolmar 421 of you own of corse :D. If all involved are in agreement ..could you take a view of the silver tags under the trigger..interested to see what the USA Mac /Dol colour saws have on the makers tag.
Oh ...and have you found its party trick ?...just hook it into your leg and just pull it ..Bump..bump..bump over comp and ..no drop starts .

Last edited:

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these great little saws! I bought it from @fordf150 and would recommend that route if your interested. Anyway these tune under the Rev limiter, also did you leave the gills once you removed the cat? Or did you leave them in? I have a 16 inch total bar on mine set up for .325.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll get a pic of the tag.

As to the cat delete, I drilled the spot welds holding the cat plate and removed only the cat plate. I kept the inner baffle that houses the spark arrestor screen. Doesn't seem loud at all but I'd wager that if I deleted that baffle it would get pretty loud and the old man isn't keen on that

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll get a pic of the tag.

As to the cat delete, I drilled the spot welds holding the cat plate and removed only the cat plate. I kept the inner baffle that houses the spark arrestor screen. Doesn't seem loud at all but I'd wager that if I deleted that baffle it would get pretty loud and the old man isn't keen on that
I do the same Joe (baffle left in )...you can with a flat blade screwdriver bend open up the gill slits for a bit bigger outflow without losing the stock look and only getting a little more noise.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't believe so...but now I'm unsure...lol! I'll go pull the muffler and have a second look
You got me second guessing myself to !! :D. If the cat was taken out by removing the hole plate inc the cat still welded to it then thats what i do as well. I thought you see 3 gill slits in the outflow of the second part of the muffler before the outer cover shell.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep I drilled out the spot welds revealing 3 gills I then removed the spark screen and ground out those gills and reinstalled the screen and retuned. Saw is not overly loud at all imo. I have been really impressed with this saw makes me want to really try out a 6100 and a 7910!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice looking saw that 4300!

Give Your dad's 6400 a chance to eat some wood too.

I love my Dolmar PS-6400 and wish I had a log pile to play with.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep I drilled out the spot welds revealing 3 gills I then removed the spark screen and ground out those gills and reinstalled the screen and retuned. Saw is not overly loud at all imo. I have been really impressed with this saw makes me want to really try out a 6100 and a 7910!

Jeez, it's entirely possible that I didn't notice the fish gills as I was more focused on getting rid of that abominable cat....I better take that muffler apart and have another look tomorrow.

I'll get a pic of the log pile for you guys tomorrow. It's a tri-axle with pup load. Most of it is right in the wheelhouse of my ported 357, but I brought my ported 372 as well for good measure. I might break out Pop's 6400 for some exercise too :)