Gentlemen, start your mowers!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not officially spring yet, but close enough for me. The sun is shining and the ground is finally dry enough to start mowing. Yesterday I got my 1990 Murray 12hp/38 riding mower out, checked the oil and filled up the gas. Turned the key and she came to life no problem and so I mowed the back yard and sides of the house with it. After that, I woke up the Echo GT-200R and trimmed the same areas. Finished up by cleaning everything off with the Echo PB-250.

It's just an ordinary task that I have done since I was a kid, but man it feels good to cut grass the first time every year. Today I'm going to get out the Ferguson TO-35 and Bush Hog finish mower and do the front.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spring seem to be early this year here too. Things don't normally get hopping until early May around here. I have have been servicing mowers and other equipment. I also go my first case of poison ivy from one of the mowers.

As far me cutting grass I will need either flotation tires or a hover craft to cut my yard. Just barely dry enough to walk across the high stops without sinking over the tops of my work boots. So cleaned up some brush from last Fall but rain is moving back in tonight.

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yea it is nice here too. I'm still gigging for moles on my end of the country But got the boys out today and cant make up my mind. I've got some time. Grass is growin.DSCF1324.JPG DSCF1619.JPG DSCF1626.JPG DSCF1580.JPG This little guy would be my first choice.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh, hopefully I'll have a fourth riding mower in use this year. Last fall I saw a nice, garage kept JD STX38 in someone's yard for $150.00. Turns out it was for sale by the original owner and the transaxle had gone kablooey, the machine was complete and still ran. He agreed to $120.00 so it came home. I got a used transaxle from Fleabay, just never got around to installing it. My Troy Bilt V809 has a little no start problem too, gonna have to sort that out.

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh, hopefully I'll have a fourth riding mower in use this year. Last fall I saw a nice, garage kept JD STX38 in someone's yard for $150.00. Turns out it was for sale by the original owner and the transaxle had gone kablooey, the machine was complete and still ran. He agreed to $120.00 so it came home. I got a used transaxle from Fleabay, just never got around to installing it. My Troy Bilt V809 has a little no start problem too, gonna have to sort that out.
I have had to eliminate two of those anti backfire solenoids one Cub and one Deere already this year for fellas getting ready. I really suspect ethanol. I get a lot of my spare parts from yard sales. My father in law lives east in the mountains where a lot of people there cant afford new parts, and always looking for riders. He is slowing down though at 83. If we drive past a mower in the back yard with a flat tire I have to go bang on the door.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I broke my back so it'll be 8 weeks before I'm back on my mower. It sucks like hell.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my little John Deere RX75 running again. It pops back through the carb and kicks back when trying to start.I adjusted the valves it got a little better but still very hard starting. I have cleaned the cab, checked the flywheel key everything looks good.I an getting ready to push the darn thing to the street and put a for sale for parts sign on it. I have not got the Lawn Boy or Bunton out yet. I got my point set for the Clinton engine on my 1953 Fairbanks Morris push mower.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is 30" Rear engine rider. Probably a decompressor (ACR) failure on the camshaft.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had to eliminate two of those anti backfire solenoids one Cub and one Deere already this year for fellas getting ready. I really suspect ethanol. I get a lot of my spare parts from yard sales. My father in law lives east in the mountains where a lot of people there cant afford new parts, and always looking for riders. He is slowing down though at 83. If we drive past a mower in the back yard with a flat tire I have to go bang on the door.

Yep, same here. I intentionally don't shop for riding mowers, it's too easy to end up with a yard full of them. I will say, the little Troy Bilt 30" rear engine looks pretty sweet. Mebbe I can score a non-runner for cheap sometime.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got this Scag Freedom Z 48" a couple of years ago. I can't get a deck any bigger because some of the places I cut, the trees are way too close together. It's a good machine and I have great dealer support.
6894463871318735729_account_id=3.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice machine. I have often wondered why more implements are not offered for zero turns. A little PTO or hydro driven tiller would fit nicely in place of the mowing deck. A snow blower shouldn't be too much trouble either.

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got this Scag Freedom Z 48" a couple of years ago. I can't get a deck any bigger because some of the places I cut, the trees are way too close together. It's a good machine and I have great dealer support.
View attachment 114737
That is sweet, they take the work out of mowing. and fun. But I went back to the standard JD lawn tractor for storage room in the garage. Plus 2004 cub did not have a simple way to clean the grass off then, made it a hassle. The cubs are much better now.

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my little John Deere RX75 running again. It pops back through the carb and kicks back when trying to start.I adjusted the valves it got a little better but still very hard starting. I have cleaned the cab, checked the flywheel key everything looks good.I an getting ready to push the darn thing to the street and put a for sale for parts sign on it. I have not got the Lawn Boy or Bunton out yet. I got my point set for the Clinton engine on my 1953 Fairbanks Morris push mower.
Wondering if this Jacobson is about the same year as you bunton? I think this is 1950s. I quess the first trim mowers. I am just intrigued with older tools.Guitar 062.JPG It took years to find a air cleaner.

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like lawnmower AD or a horder problem.
My problem is I’m jealous.
Nice collection.
Yea I'm a hor der
Looks like lawnmower AD or a horder problem.
My problem is I’m jealous.
Nice collection.
Yea im a hoarder. I use to show the mowers but daughter has me traveling for soccer. But going to get back to the shows. I really like the old lawn boys. As a kid I use to mow for everyone including Fred Rogers at one of his properties with a lawn boy.DSCF1996.JPG And they all run good.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was big into lawn boy several years ago and then got burned out . I just have one left that is my wife’s 1964 buttercup. Junior I have a early fifty’s brick too C engine with the flat spot on the blade end of the crank. It has good comp and spark. It is missing carb tank and shroud. Let me know if you are interested, it looks like you have quite the collection.