Generator to run sump pump

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a smaller generator 3750 surg and 3000 continuous. I tried running the sump pump today just to see how it would work and it ran it but not at full capacity. ( pump didnt wind up like normal). I had about a 25 foot heavy cord.
Just wondering how big a generator do i really need just to run a sump pump.

My setup i did was i put a outlet in basement with 14/2 wire run it througj wall to outside qhere i can plug generator in.

If i had to run if power was out id be afraid of ruining the sump pump.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a generator that size too amd just for this purpose. I haven't tried it yet but I know after hooking my 6.5 amp drill and 12 amp saw and kicking them both on it bogged down and took a few seconds to catch back up and this was no load too. So I want to find a way to measure true output of mine and Iam really looking in to a battery backup set up because I ve been on borrowed time

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a smaller generator 3750 surg and 3000 continuous. I tried running the sump pump today just to see how it would work and it ran it but not at full capacity. ( pump didnt wind up like normal). I had about a 25 foot heavy cord.
Just wondering how big a generator do i really need just to run a sump pump.

My setup i did was i put a outlet in basement with 14/2 wire run it througj wall to outside qhere i can plug generator in.

If i had to run if power was out id be afraid of ruining the sump pump.

No expert here, need to find the wattage of the sump pump first, (motors take a lot to get going). 14/2 seems a little small for my liking to run a motor, a light bulb no problem. An electrician should be able to answer your questions exactly. Most will give a little advice like this no problem.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a generator that size too amd just for this purpose. I haven't tried it yet but I know after hooking my 6.5 amp drill and 12 amp saw and kicking them both on it bogged down and took a few seconds to catch back up and this was no load too. So I want to find a way to measure true output of mine and Iam really looking in to a battery backup set up because I ve been on borrowed time
Iv got battery back up but at the rate water comes in mine on a big rain battery be dead in half hour

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No expert here, need to find the wattage of the sump pump first, (motors take a lot to get going). 14/2 seems a little small for my liking to run a motor, a light bulb no problem. An electrician should be able to answer your questions exactly. Most will give a little advice like this no problem.
14/2 is standers house wire. And if i recall that sump was somewhere around 2000 watts. But the generator dont go on its neas running it.
I thought mabe somethin wrong with it so i plugged it into the rv and fired up the ac and it went on its nees to start it then came back up.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's the start up current demand that is the problem. You got figure at 2X to 7X motor rating for start up and depends on the type motor and service required of it.

I have 15A @240 electric capacitor start/run motor on my air compressor that just 4000 watts that can't even start usually completely unload.

Here is an article on electric motors that should help but what I see your generator is too small.

http://caes2.caes.uga.edu/engineering/handbook/documents/electric motors.pdf

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's the start up current demand that is the problem. You got figure at 2X to 7X motor rating for start up and depends on the type motor and service required of it.

I have 15A @240 electric capacitor start/run motor on my air compressor that just 4000 watts that can't even start usually completely unload.

Here is an article on electric motors that should help but what I see your generator is too small.

http://caes2.caes.uga.edu/engineering/handbook/documents/electric motors.pdf
My 110volt crapsman compressor wont start either from a EB2500,, was disappointing as I bought the gen set to build the cabin.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is all that i seen on the pump. I think my generator is just too small.
Will have to mabe sgop around and invest in a bigger one. Probly around 5000 watt continuous.
Any sugestion as to what brand without breaking the bank. Curently have a coleman power mate thats been flawless just under power for the pump.
eb7dd92f05d31275298ead18212f7761.jpg

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Your gen should run that easily 5.5 amp 500 watts like 5-8 lightbulbs

Grimmy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Find someone that has one of those Honda/Yamaha inverters and try one of those. They are only 2kW, but they are clean power and they sip gas. I've ran my sump pump on it before, when my big generator was down........I've since gotten a whole house generator with automatic start and transfer switch. I don't know the specs of my sump pump though.

sgrizz

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was at home depot one day and went by the section were the transfer switch boxes are and saw a thing that you plug in between the sump pump or anything else for that matter and the electrical outlet and it will tell you how many amps it is drawing.