High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Gasoline contaminated with Diesel for 2-stroke mix ???

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Weed killer
Fire starter
Guy said he will utilize the gasoline/diesel mix to start fires in his central heating unit instead of the propane flame thrower he usually uses.

I am considering to ask him to give me some of the fuel to test it.
Then again I have too many projects clogging up the IN box as it is, I don't really need another.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the issues here is that the ratio of gas to diesel is an unknown. So even for "testing" purposes, no valid data could be collected as perhaps the amount of diesel is very small. I would use this in a gas engine in very small quantities. I think even a chainsaw could burn it fine if used very highly diluted. ie, 10% of the contaminated fuel with pure gas + the normal amount (or very slightly less) mix oil.
I would STRONGLY recommend that your friend does not use this to start fires in his stove. That is going to lead to undesirable results.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the diesel content was like 50:50 I'd have never suggested running it. The OP stated it was 4-8lt of diesel to 70lt of gas. So we are roughly talking 5-10% diesel contamination possibly less. While things will be smokey, spark plugs may get fouled & spark screens clogged up, I don't think the contamination level is a sure recipe for disaster. I'd run it in a low tech 4stroke without concern, I feed my saws the freshest quality gas I can & probably wouldn't bother with this stuff but on a low value saw or cheap Chinese job I'm pretty sure it would be fine if you keep an eye on things.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the diesel content was like 50:50 I'd have never suggested running it. The OP stated it was 4-8lt of diesel to 70lt of gas. So we are roughly talking 5-10% diesel contamination possibly less. While things will be smokey, spark plugs may get fouled & spark screens clogged up, I don't think the contamination level is a sure recipe for disaster. I'd run it in a low tech 4stroke without concern, I feed my saws the freshest quality gas I can & probably wouldn't bother with this stuff but on a low value saw or cheap Chinese job I'm pretty sure it would be fine if you keep an eye on things.
Car was running on reserve when it got topped of with a full tank of the wrong fuel.
On European cars reserve is usually worth for 100-150km distance.

My acquaintance estimated 2liters of diesel on the whole 70 liter tank.
That seemed a little far fetched to me as that would leave the tank nearly dry so I posted a higher ratio.

I agree, I will not chance anything with this fuel in my chainsaws - strictly fresh known ratio mix for them.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have run 50:50 in my gas truck without issue, but that’s a 300. I think it would be just fine in a chainsaw. If it doesn’t run right, don’t use it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would STRONGLY recommend that your friend does not use this to start fires in his stove. That is going to lead to undesirable results.

Yes, very bad idea. Gasoline vapor is by design quite explosive. Just because you've done it 100 times before doesn't mean it is safe.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Halloween is coming. Get creative.
A bloody face mask and a blood dripping chainsaw is all I need to scare the neighbors kids away. :p

More chocolate candy for me at the end of the day. :rolleyes:

That contaminated fuel might do fine for a garden torch. o_O

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Totally irrelevant to running in engines, but on my fire Dept. We mix diesel and gas in a 80:20 ratio for control burn fire starter. But it’s 4 gallon of diesel and one gallon gas in a 5 gallon jug.

03b80bfb9cb2f84cba4d582d42280829.jpg

We use it like this for setting back burns and such. Diesel to sustain the flame, and gas to lower the flash point.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Evinrude makes two stroke outboards that will run on diesel. With that said there is no way in hell I would let that fuel anywhere near my chainsaw.