High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Gasoline contaminated with Diesel for 2-stroke mix ???

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think diesel fuel has an octane rating. Seems to me it's cetane, not octane.

Whatever the case, I think diesel is going to be a lot less prone to pre-ignition than gasoline of any octane. It's a lot less volatile, with much longer molecules...

That's what I was thinking.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think diesel fuel has an octane rating. Seems to me it's cetane, not octane.

Whatever the case, I think diesel is going to be a lot less prone to pre-ignition than gasoline of any octane. It's a lot less volatile, with much longer molecules...
That is what I was thinking.

My main concern is the higher energy Diesel is packing (hotter combustion?) and whether Diesel will be prone to breaking the P&C's and bearings lubrication layer.

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
use it for cleaning like washing some real dirty greasy gunked up parts. i wouldn't use as a fuel to run a engine. but i am not a cheap sob. well i can be bought.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
use it for cleaning like washing some real dirty greasy gunked up parts. i wouldn't use as a fuel to run a engine. but i am not a cheap sob. well i can be bought.
Not my fuel, not me being cheap! ;)
And I don't think the man will ever spend 70 liters of gasoline washing anything.

As said before, I am just getting thoughts & opinions to see if I can help the man getting rid of that gasoline/diesel mix.
All his vehicles and tractors are diesel engine powered, he might have a 4-stroke push mower at best, he does have a generic chinese 52cc chainsaw.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not my fuel, not me being cheap! ;)
And I don't think the man will ever spend 70 liters of gasoline washing anything.

As said before, I am just getting thoughts & opinions to see if I can help the man getting rid of that gasoline/diesel mix.
All his vehicles and tractors are diesel engine powered, he might have a 4-stroke push mower at best, he does have a generic chinese 52cc chainsaw.

Well let's see how long his saw lasts on that fuel then.

You know for science and stuff.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well let's see how long his saw lasts on that fuel then.

You know for science and stuff.
Kinda what I was thinking. :p

But he got fresh gasoline from the pump and mixed it with Stihl 2-stroke oil to feed his own saw.

The saw he owns can be had for 70$ shipped - it might prove interesting to get one and feed it with diesel mix just for scientific research. ;)

I'll be taking my own fuel along.
I am off to play with all my big girls in a log pile within the next half hour. :cool:
TriLink, Archer and Vanguard 3/8", and Oregon .404" are coming along. :D
Just have to find the spare battery for my camera, I misplaced it somewhere.

Thanks to ALL who replied! :beer-toast1:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda what I was thinking. :p

But he got fresh gasoline from the pump and mixed it with Stihl 2-stroke oil to feed his own saw.

The saw he owns can be had for 70$ shipped - it might prove interesting to get one and feed it with diesel mix just for scientific research. ;)

I'll be taking my own fuel along.
I am off to play with all my big girls in a log pile within the next half hour. :cool:
TriLink, Archer and Vanguard 3/8", and Oregon .404" are coming along. :D
Just have to find the spare battery for my camera, I misplaced it somewhere.

Thanks to ALL who replied! :beer-toast1:

Find them batteries cuz we need video.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Any oil mixed into gasoline lowers its octane rating. Also anything that doesn't burn like gasoline mixed in the fuel is going to make the engine run leaner, but I'm not sure if that's the case with diesel or not

Huntaholic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All I can add is that a chainsaw most certainly WILL NOT RUN FOR LONG ON DIESEL FUEL! I know this because one of my workers STUPIDLY filled up the 576xp we were using to buck logs on they yard with diesel. I had made several drags to the yard and when I returned with another drag he was bucking with a different saw. I asked what happened to mine and he said it was running ok, missed some, died, restarted it and cut some more then it died completely. I asked what can he filled up from and he pointed at the one by the fire, NOT the one sitting beside the bar oil. I opened the cap, poured it out in front of him and asked "DOES THAT LOOK LIKE (&^*^%&*& MIXED GAS TO YOU?" End result was a fried P&C. I put a new OEM top end on it, 6 months later the bottom end bearings went so I had to replace them as well. She runs fine now though! LOL

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stone age low compression spark engines would often run ok on just about anything. I pour old mix into my 1955 tractor, it's not going to hurt anything with it's 7.5:1 compression. I have a 5 gallon can of kerosene left over from last winter. It would be way too stale and smelly to use for indoor heating, I wonder if I could add it to my four stroke gas? Kerosene is an excellent solvent, I regularly use it to clean all kinds of things.

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stone age low compression spark engines would often run ok on just about anything. I pour old mix into my 1955 tractor, it's not going to hurt anything with it's 7.5:1 compression.

I remember my father saying how, during WWII when gasoline was rationed, he used to put kerosene into the car. Supposedly he had to put it into reverse to go up steep hills because 1st gear was too high to keep the RPMs high enough to "burn" the kerosene...and it made a lot of smoke even when it did 'burn.'

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used three tanks full of gasoline+diesel+2stroke oil mix in his cheap saw.
The saw smelled like a diesel engine and made excessive white smoke.
The saw started and idled normally, at WOT both no load and full load she four stroked quite a lot - even after I leaned her out another 2k higher to 12k no load.
I didn't dare lean her out any higher, not my saw!

To me it seemed as if the diesel in the fuel mix made the air/fuel ratio richer.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used three tanks full of gasoline+diesel+2stroke oil mix in his cheap saw.
The saw smelled like a diesel engine and made excessive white smoke.
The saw started and idled normally, at WOT both no load and full load she four stroked quite a lot - even after I leaned her out another 2k higher to 12k no load.
I didn't dare lean her out any higher, not my saw!

To me it seemed as if the diesel in the fuel mix made the air/fuel ratio richer.

Science experiments can be fun! Thank you for posting your findings.

Steven

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad told me numerous times that he ran his 2-stroke moped on kerosene and petroleum in his youth, no problem.

As I talked to him last evening he suggested that I buy a cheap chainsaw and try enriching the 2-stroke mix with diesel upon refueling to see what it does to power output and engine behaviour.

I might consider such an experiment if only those cheap generic 52cc chainsaws weren't so flimsy and low on power/performance.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've ran old mix and contamited with diesel in the old splitter no problem. 5hp Briggs motor. If it blew not the end of the world. I had 30 gallons gas from 2011 with stable in plastic cans, ran through my son's go cart no prob.

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad told me numerous times that he ran his 2-stroke moped on kerosene and petroleum in his youth, no problem.

As I talked to him last evening he suggested that I buy a cheap chainsaw and try enriching the 2-stroke mix with diesel upon refueling to see what it does to power output and engine behaviour.

I might consider such an experiment if only those cheap generic 52cc chainsaws weren't so flimsy and low on power/performance.

You should do it. The 52cc saws are great. Only "flimsy" part I ran into is that you can bend the aluminum handle if you really have to reef on a stuck bar, but at that point you'll probably also bend the bar a bit.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was an old John-Deere don't worry about it .They ran them off of kerosene .Fact I've heard of them running on well head crude oil ,old Model D's during the great depression .
My 1940's John Deere H was designed to run on kerosene. The distillate tank was larger than the gas tank. You had to start them on gasoline and then once warmed up, switch it over to distillate. The radiator had shutters to keep a higher operating temperature too. The idea was that distillate had more energy and yielded better operating costs than gasoline, but you had to make changes to be able to run it.

Judging from that, I'd think a person would have a hard time starting an engine that had too much diesel in the fuel. If I were to try it in a 2 stroke, it would be quite diluted.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve run my Toyota truck on around 10:1 gas n diesel. I dumped it in by mistake. She’s got the 22re injected engine. It ran fine. I did fill the tank early just to avoid a problem but it passed. Never noticed a difference really. May be a different story if it was cold