Gaskets

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know if this should go in chainsaws or repairs or mowers and more. But I'm repairing a mac325bp backpack blower. It has leaks by the crankcase gaskets and the intake gaskets. I'm wondering if you guys ever make your own gaskets or use a sealant with gaskets, or just sealant with no gaskets. The gaskets are still available and will probably just order them regardless but I'm also asking for my solo 667 that I want new gaskets for but there no longer available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
all the time. go to harbor freight to get a set of sheet metal punches. i also ordered a larger set of ebay. i get the light brown gasket material from autoparts store.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never thought about the hole punch set. I've done the gasket paper but bolt holes are the hardest part. Do you add anything to the paper? RTV or form-a-gasket. Just to help it stick.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A leather hole puncher tool is nice too.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If those HF hole punches are like the ones I got then you should get a piece of brass plate to prevent dulling and get cleaner cuts. They do come in handy when you just need a gasket or need to add or enlarge a hole. I make several smaller gaskets every month especially those NLA ones.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@JMoney. Thanks for the thread redirect. Lots of good ideas in there.

Anyone use "high tack", whether permatx or loctite, to help a bare paper gasket stick better.

JMoney

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The high tack is what I used for the head gasket on the mower. I do believe the copper spray-a-gasket is preferred though due to the higher temp tolerance.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lock Tite 5900 rtv is the standard of the world in automotive sealants .It's used by about all the major manufactures in the world .Indian head has been around since the days of the model T Ford and works as good today as in the days an automobile was started with a hand crank .
I seldom use any sealant on a head gasket .Some never seeze or Kopper Kote maybe .
As far as paper gaskets,in my life time I've made everything from oil pan gaskets for a D4 Caterpillar to carb gaskets for an antique chainsaw engine .Anything that will punch a clean hole will work .