Garage sale rescue

Auto5guy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few weeks ago I stopped in to an estate sale. There was a tool shed and I found an 8 pound maul and a rusty old ax with the handle split clear up through the head. I've been looking for a kindling hatchet as my full sized plastic handled ax is making my forearm sore with that task.

The head on the rusty ax was small enough that it would fit the bill if I rehandled it. I looked it over but it was so rusty I couldn't make out any markings. I gave 8 bucks for the maul, the ax and a handful of screwdrivers. I took the ax to work and over lunch hit the wire wheel with it. Once I got the heavy rust and scale off of it I began to regret my purchase. It looked like someone had been pounding steel with it and then beat on it with a waffle head hammer in random places, but I did find a name on it. It is a Genuine Norlund. I'd never heard of that before.

I tossed in it my truck and the next day when I dropped a load of wood off at my dads I showed it to him. He got super excited and ran into his shop to show me his. His brother had bought it for him decades ago. That gave me some motivation so I took a file to it and got the major dents and waffle head marks out of it then sanded it for a while. It's got too many deep pits to ever truly polish it out without completely changing its shape so I left it a bit on the coarse side. I put a hatchet handle in it and when I showed it to my dad he was impressed enough to decide it needed a twin and gave me his.

His still had the original leather sheath with the canoe guy on it.

WP_20160403_002.jpg

Auto5guy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope you hugged dad, and gave him something cool back, plus may be fire wood. p.s. Awesome score

Wow, I forgot about this posting.

Yup, Dad got a hug. He's in his late 70's and I've been supplying all his firewood for several years now. It's his sole source of heat and he does go through it!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a great find even in rough condition. Norlunds are very collectible and tough to find without paying 10 times what you paid.

Eddie Southgate

One Step Ahead Of The Law
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Southern Middle Tennessee and Hillsboro Alabama
Country flag
Norland was a Collins sub brand . They are great axes , Is the eye still in good order ? I got a Collins the other day that someone obviously had been using to drive steel wedges with or they were pounding it through the wood using it for a wedge . The eye is bulged on one side so will be a bugger to handle if I don't reshape it .