I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello. New member here.

I have one of these Craftsmen 50cc chainsaws. Model number 358.350982 if I remember off the top of my head correctly. Question is, what can I mod on it? Husky equivalent upper to get a big bore kit or something? Yeah it's a Big box store saw, but I'm looking for a winter project and looking for any ideas or advice.

I've read on various forums that's its "similar" to a husky 450. What variant I have no clue.

I'm about to run out of things to do here in Minnesota as the sub zero temps are on the way.

Thank you.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!!!! And if I entered that number right I think that your saw is based off the Poulan Pro 5020. So muffler mod and timing advance would help it out. Of course you'll want to get the correct carb adjustment tool from online for re tuning it.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are correct. It's the same as that Poulan platform.

I have the carb tool already. It needed an adjustment this year.

I know the key for the flywheel is molded into it. Got an idea for how much to remove? A quarter to a third perhaps? I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I start.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

All good advice given and I can't add anything above and beyond.

If you still haven't scratched your itch to tinker once done with your Craftsman, it's not usually too difficult to track down a builder saw here on the forum. I'm sure a WTB in the classifieds would yield some offers fairly quick.

Merry Christmas :)

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 4 of em, there really isn't much you can do with them, they are not like any other saw engine I have ever seen.
The only parts that fit another saw is the bar & chain.
It has plastic sleeves in the cylinder to create closed transfer ports. It is not a copy of any Husqvarna saw altho it has Husqvarna emblems on most of the plastic parts.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome aboard!

All good advice given and I can't add anything above and beyond.

If you still haven't scratched your itch to tinker once done with your Craftsman, it's not usually too difficult to track down a builder saw here on the forum. I'm sure a WTB in the classifieds would yield some offers fairly quick.

Merry Christmas :)

This is my "first" one. This goofy thing is going to only be my starting point.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have modded a quite a few 42cc poulans and got pretty impressive results. First let them breath. Mod the muffler to let the exhaust through the baffle if it has one remove the cat converter if it has one and open up the outlet or cut some slits in the side or top if the muffler stick a flat screwdrive in them to bend them making fish gills. Its a great way to gain outlet area and not have to make and attach a deflector. Ive got 2 42cc saws here that have been ported muff modded and timing advanced. Sorry to say it but they walk all over husky 450s and ms250s. For a cheap throw away saw they run dang hard. A muff mod timing bump and a proper tune makes a very good running saw. As a matter of course i always change the fuel lines filter and oil line. The ultra crappy stuff they use wont handle ethanol fuel and quickly drys out and cracks and snapps into pieces.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What chain do you have on this? The one I worked on had the crappy vanguard.

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That side cover is the most expensive part of the saw, it cost more than the cyl - piston assembly, I don't think it can be changed. They all came with the 3/8 vangaurd chain.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine came with a 72 link Oregon chain for my...*cough* 70 link bar.

I looked at picks from Husqvarna, Poulans, and the Pro Craftsman. The side covers look like one "could" fit. But lacking the units to test. Just wondering if anybody has one around that 5hey know could fit. Or, could check?

Last edited:

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a couple scored 4218 in a box need new pistons and carb kits. Got one of those Oregon powersharp blades with the sharping attachment seems like a pretty cool idea. I pulled the cylinders off was shocked to see plastic in there.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But. It was worth a shot.

Oh yeah definitely worth a shot. Put it on the fencepost with some tannerite in a ziploc bag in the bar oil tank and let it rip with a 30-30. That'll warm up the Minnesota night sky. Best mod you can make by far. Might find some spare part on top the chicken house later too for your next build.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh yeah definitely worth a shot. Put it on the fencepost with some tannerite in a ziploc bag in the bar oil tank and let it rip with a 30-30. That'll warm up the Minnesota night sky. Best mod you can make by far. Might find some spare part on top the chicken house later too for your next build.
Love the idea. I'll put into motion. Lol