High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

fried Husky 55?

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just a quick question on a saw that came back. I sold a 55 that had new rings and been gone over, vac tested and ran for a load of wood. The guy cut three large loads with it and it came back with a scored piston on the exhaust side. He says that it ran great all along and that he was cutting a large Ash letting the saw tip all the way over the log and then cutting down thru to complete the cut. Is it possible that he would be running out of fuel when the saw was vertical and then picking it back up when he flattened the saw out? Next, is it possible to have a air leak that I missed or something that would take that long to show up on a piston? Thanks.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
air leak is very possible , a mate stuffed a rebuilt 066 with an air leak on the carby boot

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I really thought that a saw would give it up in the first cord of wood if it was a leaker?

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply, I really thought that a saw would give it up in the first cord of wood if it was a leaker?
That sucks if it's salvageable i would definitely find the cause ive rebuilt dozens of saws and motorcycles heat cycle them in never had a failure i like letting the part's get to seat in but most guy's don't we each have our own methods.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
it normally would , but he,s telling you what he did , how true it is , who knows

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had good gas and mix in it when I got it back and he has bought more than one saw from me, guess I'll eat it and move on. Of coarse that means that I rebuild the last three for free, lol.

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw could have been low on fuel and ran out in the middle of a long cut.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Saw could have been low on fuel and ran out in the middle of a long cut.
Kind of what I thought when he said that he was making cuts in a big Ash with the saw nose down, I think it may have been tipped to the point that the filter was coming out of the fuel and then back in when he did top cuts.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
do a pressure and vac test let us know what you came up with
Like a dummy, I broke the saw down when i saw the damage so that I could check the piston top and c-clips. Only damage was just enough to stick the ring, but not that hot on the looks of the cylinder, think I'll replace it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't help to think lean tune and 50/1. Was there plenty of oil in the bottom on tear down? The 55's have that leak prone intake boot w/ out clamp and there's the impulse nipple. Were they all new? Intake screws stripped or come loose?

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I can't afford to put all new parts on every saw and still keep them in the second hand price range. I do inspect all of the parts and replace all of the basics and the screws were good at the carb. I ordered a cylinder kit and will double/ triple check it as it goes together.

1990Husky262

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that little yellow impulse pipe is really a must to replace. Very common leak point i will reuse the black intake pipe though. I also thoroughly degrease all intake parts and apply a very light coating of yamabond on all sealing surfaces of impulse pipe and intake pipe be extremely careful not to block impulse passage. After assembly i blow through the impulse passage to make sure it is clear.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 51 die from what I believe was the impulse pipe -- you could see where it looked like it was leaking.
Also -- these saws like a fat tune -- 12500 is a got RPM to go for.
Up at 13500 I think it's lean for these. The one I messed with seems to have the best power in the mid 12's RPM even though it would 4 stroke at WOT through 14K.

Good luck!

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I won't touch these without replacing the impulse and intake. Also use no. 2 sealant on them because I've had plenty that's leaked even with all new intake and impulse. Probably developed a small air leak when it was warm and combined with a slightly lean tune was enough to score it

1990Husky262

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The other thing i see happen with the zama a lot is the the Welch plug sealant comes loose and gets stuck in the auxiliary feed on the high speed nozzle. Saw will still seem to run good but you can never get it adjusted down rich enough were these run best. Some times you can clean the nozzle by removing it from carb, the you can see where the auxiliary feed connects and there will be a thin sliver of clear sealant in the passage ( so not always easy to see) other than that if it gets inside if the actual check valve the valve needs to be changed. Husky does not list the valve but probably could source it through zama. Like said before these saws like to be run rich right around 12,300

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Shame that you can't do a vac test with the carb included to see everything down to the last gasket. With these saws, you run the risk of stripping the screws every time you pull them apart.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Careful with the fuel lines that are not oem curley husky line to not make them too long as they will not move around with the fuel in the tank. I ran into this with a poulan 3450 and almost burnt it up cutting on its side. The line was too long and not staying in fuel when it got to about half a tank. The oem curley line springs back and flexes to move with fuel. I just set normal line to the point where it just reaches the bottom of the tank.