Framing Hammers

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats your favorite framing hammer ,may have to replace my stilletto ,i cant find the thing now :mad: ,i got it a couple years ago ,the titanium one ,is there a better one out yet ? i liked the side nail puller on it ,but like wooden handles too ,the one i had was rubber ,it worked but prefer an axe shaped wooden one if make them .:smash2::bash:

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It all comes down to what you are used to I think. I tried one of the new fangled super light hammers and it just felt wrong. I use this
48789406ff2e7414b438a43abedd0af8.jpg

All steel with the rubber handle. Same hammer for about 20 years now. I also have the 16 oz but rarely grab it. The 28 just feels right.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha, pingers are the worst

I hate it! And most guys have no idea. Told the guy I'm working with yesterday if he didn't get a new one he'd find his missing and have to anyhow. Told him how to check.
He thought it was the nails...[emoji849]

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a wooden handled Estwing. I picked it up at Home Depot. It is the handle like you are talking about. It swings hard and I can usually start then drive 16s with it. Sometimes it takes another lick, but I can usually sink it. It has a groove and magnet on top. I thought it was a gimmick until I was hand driving a facia board on. I could load a nail on it, get the board where I needed it and start it with it on the end of the hammer. It makes the reach a lot better.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It all comes down to what you are used to I think. I tried one of the new fangled super light hammers and it just felt wrong. I use this
48789406ff2e7414b438a43abedd0af8.jpg

All steel with the rubber handle. Same hammer for about 20 years now. I also have the 16 oz but rarely grab it. The 28 just feels right.
Those are more popular back east i think ,around here stilletto or vaughn i believe are more common around here ,i have a 16 oz one ,feels skinny in the handle for what i am used to though .

Big1066ih

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hate it! And most guys have no idea. Told the guy I'm working with yesterday if he didn't get a new one he'd find his missing and have to anyhow. Told him how to check.
He thought it was the nails...[emoji849]
My father had one when I was a kid, used to drive my grandfather nuts

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple of Estwing with Fiberglass handles that I love. Head started to walk on one and I got another. That head hasn't moved since. I have had a steel shafted Estwing, didn't care for it as much. Have a Bostich antivibe hammer...not a huge fan of it either.

For trim I have a Plumb that I really like.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a steel shafted estwing kind of guy. For framing you can't beat their hammertooth model. Has a tooth that sticks out on the claw side witch allows you to grab 2xs and straighten them up while you fasten. It's only a 24 oz and I really wish it was made 28 oz. My finish hammer is a smooth faced 28 oz all metal estwing and I love it too. I have a couple smaller estwings, but they never get used unless I left my daily driver on the job.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are more popular back east i think ,around here stilletto or vaughn i believe are more common around here ,i have a 16 oz one ,feels skinny in the handle for what i am used to though .

205d76462ed0663fd6ab1362d69ac0a6.jpg

1 in each nail belt & this one stays under the seat in the work truck.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these and a bigger demo one called a fubar ,if working with twisted lumber ,the claw end levers it right around so can nail it strait with nail gun ,looks awkward as hell ,but it pounds nails very comfortably .
IMG_1813.JPG

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
205d76462ed0663fd6ab1362d69ac0a6.jpg

1 in each nail belt & this one stays under the seat in the work truck.
I have the same one with an axe handle ,have one with axe head also ,broke them out of retirement last night because could not figure out where my titanium stilletto went ,i really dig the axe head for framing ,laying a 2x6 across a beam last night was able to shave a little of the beam without having to crawl down the ladder to get a sawzall ,wish stiletto had an axe one like this .I think my camera is messed up now ,my phone fell out of my pocket when digging stumps on backhoe and got covered in hydrolic oil ,oops ,that little notch in bottom of axe end is for pulling nails ,works real well actually ,and keeps the head from coming loose pulling them sideways KIMG2116.JPG

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats your favorite framing hammer ,may have to replace my stilletto ,i cant find the thing now :mad: ,i got it a couple years ago ,the titanium one ,is there a better one out yet ? i liked the side nail puller on it ,but like wooden handles too ,the one i had was rubber ,it worked but prefer an axe shaped wooden one if make them .:smash2::bash:

Sounds like you had the Stiletto TiBone, that's a shame you lost it. They are a great hammer. Stiletto also makes a hickory handle titanium head hammer up to a 16oz in a waffle or plain face.

Also I hear good things about Death Stick hammer from Dead On tools. I don't see a ti hammer in their lineup though.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you had the Stiletto TiBone, that's a shame you lost it. They are a great hammer. Stiletto also makes a hickory handle titanium head hammer up to a 16oz in a waffle or plain face.

Also I hear good things about Death Stick hammer from Dead On tools. I don't see a ti hammer in their lineup though.
This is the one i lost ,i hope it turns up when i start cleaning up ,the little notch on the side pulls nails real nice .Had a wood handle also ,,but one side of the nail claw broke off
2500112_2000x2000.jpg