Forester Harvest Plan

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Learned a lot scaling my logs with Tim yesterday at the mill. Got good feedback on how I’m doing bucking the logs and learned how to improve a couple things based on the scaling process. One of the most important things I learned is that in order for a log to be considered for veneer grade it has to be at least 9.5ft long. I’ve been bucking at 8.5ft mostly. The good news is I didn’t miss out on any veneer because the heart wood was too big in my logs. Tim apologized for not telling me about veneer length when he walked my woods with me. Hell of good dude and he’s treating my great, probably better than I deserve...lol!

Very happy with the pay day from that 3/4 load of logs. Already a third of the way to paying off my winch loan. These were nowhere near my best trees. Mrs. XP_Slinger is very happy and she already mentioned going shopping when I told her what we made...lol!! Got a feeling plans might be changing for the money we earn selling logs:risas3:

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ac4bfe03c4d043e5dd0f570a46852841.jpg

We put humboldt faces in lower then this, one reason they’re used out here is we have to have a square butt no face is allowed to be left on the butt log of hardwood or softwoods out here. When you see the taller stumps it’s normally to get out of the flare our fir, Hemlock, spruce, and cedar have plus it’s faster as well as safer for the faller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Learned a lot scaling my logs with Tim yesterday at the mill. Got good feedback on how I’m doing bucking the logs and learned how to improve a couple things based on the scaling process. One of the most important things I learned is that in order for a log to be considered for veneer grade it has to be at least 9.5ft long. I’ve been bucking at 8.5ft mostly. The good news is I didn’t miss out on any veneer because the heart wood was too big in my logs. Tim apologized for not telling me about veneer length when he walked my woods with me. Hell of good dude and he’s treating my great, probably better than I deserve...lol!

Very happy with the pay day from that 3/4 load of logs. Already a third of the way to paying off my winch loan. These were nowhere near my best trees. Mrs. XP_Slinger is very happy and she already mentioned going shopping when I told her what we made...lol!! Got a feeling plans might be changing for the money we earn selling logs:risas3:
When you marking your logs to cut up keep in mind a few things. Keep the rough logs together , in other words don't make a 10 foot log that has 8 feet of 4 clean sides and to feet of knots. If you've got crooked logs don't cut them long. Learning to cut up takes a long time. Sometimes it's hard to cut log to a 9 footer when it will make a perfect straight 12 footer. Cut it to 9 and you'll almost always make out better. Gotta think about taper small end diameter ...........

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When you marking your logs to cut up keep in mind a few things. Keep the rough logs together , in other words don't make a 10 foot log that has 8 feet of 4 clean sides and to feet of knots. If you've got crooked logs don't cut them long. Learning to cut up takes a long time. Sometimes it's hard to cut log to a 9 footer when it will make a perfect straight 12 footer. Cut it to 9 and you'll almost always make out better. Gotta think about taper small end diameter ...........
All good points. I’m not a pro but I’m getting the hang of it. Definitely lots of things to consider while bucking...not just the length.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Colton is right on learning where to cut for best scale! If you're skidding out in tree length it might be best if they come out and mark them for you!
Unfortunately I have to buck in the woods. My tractor gets too light in the front end if I try to drag big stuff out at log length...I tried.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends a lot on what they want to saw at the time. Sometimes they want more length and will take a defect and other times not. Remember also you are losing diameter as you go longer! What percent of heart do they want for grade?
Veneer has to be 1/3 heart or less on all species. Select or “Prime” has to be 1/2 heart or less, straight & 4 sides clean. Minimum diameter for both is 15” small end OR 14” butt log.

I’ve been paying close attention to small end diameter , trying to maximize higher grade log yield out of the tree, while also considering knots and stuff. Sometimes it’s worth it to cull out a knot completely to get the higher grade log above and below it. Every tree is different and y’all would laugh at how long it takes me to decide how I want to buck a log. I put a lot of thought into it, which translates to a lot of time because of my inexperience.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was cutting some veneer white + chestnut oak (chestnut is bought as white oak since the grain is pretty much identical except the bark) on our tornado salvage job last week (blown over already). We dug out around the stump and pulled up the rootballs with the doosan to get a good cut. Not real big but nice stuff.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was cutting some veneer white + chestnut oak (chestnut is bought as white oak since the grain is pretty much identical except the bark) on our tornado salvage job last week (blown over already). We dug out around the stump and pulled up the rootballs with the doosan to get a good cut. Not real big but nice stuff.
Veneer is such a unicorn. Tree can look beautiful on the stump, then you drop & buck it only to find ingrown bark or something that takes it out of veneer grade. It’s a crap shoot IMO

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Veneer is such a unicorn. Tree can look beautiful on the stump, then you drop & buck it only to find ingrown bark or something that takes it out of veneer grade. It’s a crap shoot IMO
If it’s black oak and really big you can almost bet it’ll be overmature.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure on the cost of living out there but just by those prices a guy could make a comfortable living logging.

I should show those prices to my mill :eek:.

Might be that timber is more rare or the amounts coming in to feed the mills isn’t hardly enough to keep them running.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it that or are they trying to get a hold of all the ash before your guy’s EAB runs through there as well?

I think this has driven our value up. Ash used to be mainly used in the baseball bat industry here. Now it’s use it while you can. I have A LOT of ash to bring out of my woods. Good healthy trees that are otherwise doomed to be EAB kill.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure on the cost of living out there but just by those prices a guy could make a comfortable living logging.

I should show those prices to my mill :eek:.
No don’t do that, don’t want your mill talking mine into lowering prices...lmao!!!!! Jk

I’m making pretty good money on my stand so far:)