Forester Harvest Plan

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's too bad my pull rope broke right before we were comparing saws. At least you got to make one cut even though I just fattened it up. We'll have to try again before the winter is over.
Definitely. Maybe next time we’ll spend more time cuttting cookies on the firewood log pile. Fat tune or not I liked the feel of your 2159. I’ll have a sharp chain on the 262 next time.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like you guys had fun! The old timer who works with us sometimes says he used to run 281’s and 288’s back in the day. Awesome saw to log with!

I’m really liking my 288 for felling. And yes it was a fun day!

Nice job guys!

Thanks Jeffus:beer-toast1:

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 365 turned 372 that I need to rebuild the carb on. Poor thing hasnt seen any run time since I put it together about 2 years ago. Maybe I'll get into the saw fixing mode and get it going the same time I put a new rope in the 2159.

Yes indeed it was a fun day.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sht Does look like fun.
Joe and Wade were putting wood on the ground fast, couldn’t keep up hauling them out. I have to take the scenic route to stay on solid ground lol. What I would give for a trail straight out of the woods to my landing area.

Little bit of winch action:D

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make the trail. Throw your slash across the path to aid in traction and help stiffen the soft ground. It will hard pack over time maybe.
Just thinking outloud.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make the trail. Throw your slash across the path to aid in traction and help stiffen the soft ground. It will hard pack over time maybe.
Just thinking outloud.
Skidder will still tear that up most likely. At least ours will, it’s 29,000 lbs. Best solution is wait till the ground freezes... but it’s been such a wet winter.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe it would work with a tractor? I’d be careful though. Skidder is made to go to war in the woods, a tractor not so much. But you do what you can with what you have.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh. I forgot about the skidder. I was thinking tractor only. LOL

My experience with tractors in the woods is that driving over brush and slash is a bad idea. Stuff gets lifted by the tires and jammed into places it doesn't belong. Pretty easy to tear hydraulic lines and filters off, puncture radiators, damage linkages, etc. Josh's tractor is more of an industrial machine, so it may be built to handle that stuff better, but in general tractors aren't designed to be used like that. You can add skid plates, which would be a step in the right direction, but you still need to be very careful.

This feller, Vince made this nice video about tractor logging with a small Kubota. He's in Boreal forest, so he has optimized his setup for that application, but I still think this is a groovy video. I would recommend 1.25 speed. He does actually use the tractor to limb logs in some situations, but it would still make me nervous, even with skid plates.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skidder will still tear that up most likely. At least ours will, it’s 29,000 lbs. Best solution is wait till the ground freezes... but it’s been such a wet winter.
The area I’m working in never freezes even during a normal winter. It’s not swamp, just a lot of underground water that leaches toward the swamp at the bottom of the hill. Wouldn’t even be able to log this particular area if I didn’t have a winch. I sit on my ATV trail and pull the logs too me using the snatch block when needed. It’s working well

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experience with tractors in the woods is that driving over brush and slash is a bad idea. Stuff gets lifted by the tires and jammed into places it doesn't belong. Pretty easy to tear hydraulic lines and filters off, puncture radiators, damage linkages, etc. Josh's tractor is more of an industrial machine, so it may be built to handle that stuff better, but in general tractors aren't designed to be used like that. You can add skid plates, which would be a step in the right direction, but you still need to be very careful.

This feller, Vince made this nice video about tractor logging with a small Kubota. He's in Boreal forest, so he has optimized his setup for that application, but I still think this is a groovy video. I would recommend 1.25 speed. He does actually use the tractor to limb logs in some situations, but it would still make me nervous, even with skid plates.

I keep my trails clear for those very reasons. I’ve got plenty of lines and valves that are vulnerable to brush damage under my tractor. One of them is the reverser control valve, I haven’t looked up a price but it sure does sound expensive. John Deere $$$

Last edited: