Fixed chainsaws that dont get picked up

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed a little poulan / craftsman saw. The old top handle stlye. Needed carb kit and fuel line.
Anyhow he asked me if i had it ready and told him 30 bucks which didnt even cover cost of parts and my gas to get them. This was over a year ago. Do i consider it mine or keep bugging him? I have already told him twice it was ready.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've thought about stuff like that, and I figure if it happened to me, I'd make a good effort to contact them via a surefire method multiple times like over the phone 3-5 times, then a year after the initially trying to contact I'd consider it mine. If they seem to really not care about it, and I really needed $ out of it, then I'd call it mine in 1-3 months I think is fair.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've thought about stuff like that, and I figure if it happened to me, I'd make a good effort to contact them via a surefire method multiple times like over the phone 3-5 times, then a year after the initially trying to contact I'd consider it mine. If they seem to really not care about it, and I really needed $ out of it, then I'd call it mine in 1-3 months I think is fair.
I do the same thing he does.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My policy is: If it isn't worth at least 50 bucks to you then don't bring it to me. Basic tune-up is 45 dollars plus parts. Time is precious, my spare time is little. I ain't fixing other people's problems for nothing.

This usually weeds out the non payers, I've had very little problem. And my price is still dirt cheap compared to any shop around.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I fixed a little poulan / craftsman saw. The old top handle stlye. Needed carb kit and fuel line.
Anyhow he asked me if i had it ready and told him 30 bucks which didnt even cover cost of parts and my gas to get them. This was over a year ago. Do i consider it mine or keep bugging him? I have already told him twice it was ready.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
You're a heap more patient man than me. If it were me doing chainsaw repair and you didn't pick it up within 60-90 days at the most...I'm selling it or keeping it one.

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The local steal dealer has a sign posted something along the lines of: after 30 days they start adding storage to the bill, after 90 days they will sell it to recoup parts and labor.

We had a local repair shop that had a similar policy that was also printed on the repair order signed by customers. They sold some very nice machines for literally pennies compared to what they were worth.

.... then there's the other guy a few miles away. He's had no such policy for the 40 years they've been in business. He easily has 2,000 square feet in his building occupied by machines that have never been picked up.

Last edited:

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Your policy has to be posted, local dealer does the same as above. Storage fees after 30 days, sold for repair bill after 90 days. To keep yourself out of legal hot water on this one you could send a certified letter stating you are selling the saw in 14 days if he does not respond.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The local steal dealer has a sign posted something along the lines of: after 30 days they start adding storage to the bill, after 90 days they will sell it to recoup parts and labor.

That's pretty much what our policy was. We had it posted six different places in the shop to make sure customers saw it.

In a few cases, people passed away before they could make it back in. For a couple of those, the shop owner had us deliver the repaired equipment to their families free of charge.

Two of the saws I have now were customer non-pickups. If they were larger saws then the parent logging company got them.

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't had any problems
They know if they don't pick something
Up it's gone.
I've given away several saws
Got tired of moving them around the shop.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
8:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
we have 3 repaired saws here that wont get picked up.
One of them is 4 years old a MS 170 that just needed a new chain tensioner.
German laaw is a bit different so you can't easily sell it.
But you can send them the bill for your work just after you finished it.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my old shop we called twice when items we're ready, after that and 30 days they went on the used/repaired for-sale shelf. Anyone that wanted to pay the bill could buy the repaired item. Stuff hung around as long as a year, but it eventually sold to someone. Only had one unhappy customer come show up complaining. He threatened to go to court but it either never went anywhere or he lost. Owner said he want worried about it.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm picky because I can be. It's not a "business" for me. (Unless losing money is a business plan). But if it's a chit saw. I tell them its not a saw I work on as it takes too long to research parts and search part numbers. I spend too much time ordering correct parts and getting them to me to work on chit saws.... if it's a "pro saw" people will come back for it ...the less valuable a saw is the more likely it will be left behind.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
30 days after second notification and it's yours. First notification when completed
and second in 30 days. 30 days from second and do what you want with it.
Remember your not a storage facility and you have your time and money in it.