Fixed an Echo CS-300 Top Handle Today

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
12:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Owner said it wouldn't start and was lacking power before it died. I checked the compression -- rather good for an old warrior. Spark was good. Fuel filter and fuel line were good.

However, I noticed it had a hard time filling up the primer bulb (purge pump). Looks like it had been run many times without using the primer bulb to start it. Carb would drain it dry after an attempt to run. The bulb also had a hard time filling even though the bulb was clear. So, I replaced that and the short fuel lines that fed it. Saw then started immediately and ran like it was brand new.

Things like this always amaze me. One has to wonder how many good 2-cycle engine equipment winds up in the landfills this way. Any comments?

cdixon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Owner said it wouldn't start and was lacking power before it died. I checked the compression -- rather good for an old warrior. Spark was good. Fuel filter and fuel line were good.

However, I noticed it had a hard time filling up the primer bulb (purge pump). Looks like it had been run many times without using the primer bulb to start it. Carb would drain it dry after an attempt to run. The bulb also had a hard time filling even though the bulb was clear. So, I replaced that and the short fuel lines that fed it. Saw then started immediately and ran like it was brand new.

Things like this always amaze me. One has to wonder how many good 2-cycle engine equipment winds up in the landfills this way. Any comments?
Some people have all the luck.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some people have all the luck.
Gave the saw back to the owner today. The climber who also goes up in the bucket with this saw was really happy. He loves it. I've always thought that the Echo CS-300 was a tough little bulldog and one of the best top handle saws ever made. The purge bulb is its Achilles heel.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Had the same issues with a stihl ms192tc top handle. Customer said it was really hard to start hot or cold and just bogged. First thing I noticed was the primer bulb was bone dry....removed the carb and the fuel line cover and inspected the lines...all fine. Check the primer bulb and it was working....check the tank vent and it was working....hooked all the lines together and it would prime. Time to dig into the carb....these have accelerator pumps in them and this one was stuck wide open. lol Pop it out with air and cleaned...then rebuilt the carb and it ran like a champ! And primes just fine to.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had the same issues with a stihl ms192tc top handle. Customer said it was really hard to start hot or cold and just bogged. First thing I noticed was the primer bulb was bone dry....removed the carb and the fuel line cover and inspected the lines...all fine. Check the primer bulb and it was working....check the tank vent and it was working....hooked all the lines together and it would prime. Time to dig into the carb....these have accelerator pumps in them and this one was stuck wide open. lol Pop it out with air and cleaned...then rebuilt the carb and it ran like a champ! And primes just fine to.
You really have to wonder how many top handle saws have wound up in the landfills with similar problems that you and I ran into. Carb issues usually do them in unless they were straight gasssed or dropped from the tree top. My climbing days are over, but I've used one for years to handle blown down branches and small trees. They are really handy.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are invaluable for clearing small branches of downed trees. Having a hand free makes my job easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are invaluable for clearing small branches of downed trees. Having a hand free makes my job easier. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The big plus is that with your free hand you can bend the small branches left or right as you nip them off and avoid pinch. Then when clear you can throw the branch into a pile out of the way. Lots of energy and time saved. It's no wonder that these little top handle bulldog saws hold their value.

I fixed an Echo CS-355 the other day and the tree trimmer said he was lost without it. Somehow the ignition wires were cut and shorting out right near the trigger.