Fisher baby bear

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 164355 Installed this craigslist find Baby bear in my hunting cabin a few months ago.
A friend welded the base out of C channel.
Double wall pipe.
Came out pretty nice I think.
Perfect size for my cabin.

You might want to check clearances, I’m pretty sure unlisted stoves are 36” clearance to combustibles. Even with a wall shield I still think the double wall pipe and stove are too close. I think you also need a crazy R value base for unlisted stoves. Metal will radiate heat right to the wood floor, you need something to insulate the heat from the floor. You also need 16-24” of ember protection in front of the door of the stove(depending on local code)

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You might want to check clearances, I’m pretty sure unlisted stoves are 36” clearance to combustibles. Even with a wall shield I still think the double wall pipe and stove are too close. I think you also need a crazy R value base for unlisted stoves. Metal will radiate heat right to the wood floor, you need something to insulate the heat from the floor. You also need 16-24” of ember protection in front of the door of the stove(depending on local code)

Hmm....
The stove pipe calls for 6" to combustibles. I pulled an old pdf scan off the web and the install meets 197x specs.
Luckily for me, it's not getting inspected.
The stove is Non UL listed so any dwelling that is CO occupation is a no-go anyhoo.

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a Baby Bear new about 1982.
Had the pipe moved to the top of the stove.
Was a good stove in its day, ran it for 15 years.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember owners of these stoves in Connecticut telling me that the Fisher Baby Bear performed as well as any stove made in Sweden. The Baby Bear was a Best Buy all the way.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I remember owners of these stoves in Connecticut telling me that the Fisher Baby Bear performed as well as any stove made in Sweden. The Baby Bear was a Best Buy all the way.

The Fisher stove story is pretty interesting. First US made commercial airtight stove. The business model was unique and it worked well.
EPA regs eventually killed the company that was said to be unkillable due to its unique quasi distributor business system.