High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

First saw build 272xp

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New member here and wanted to start sharing with you guys my progress on my first saw build. I finished my 272 and seams to be running real well. So well in fact that I went looking for another Husky to play with and ended up with a 288 builder. That build thread will start soon. I've learned a lot for the site and wanted to give a little back.

So here it goes, I started out at an auction and held my hand up a lot long than I should have! Word of andvise, don't bid on thing you have no knowledge about. lol I payed way to much for a saw that ended up having bad main bearings. So I Took the saw apart and one thing led to another... here's a pic of it when I bought it.IMG_1662.JPG

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The first thing I did when I got it home was tear it down and inventory parts I needed to order. The cylinder looked good. Just ordered a new meteor piston, bearings, gasket set..... sorry but I didn't get to many pics of the tear down. I did how ever come to the realization that this was probably going to be the first of many builds so I ordered a few tools....
IMG_3186.JPG IMG_1681.JPG IMG_1682.JPG

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Once I got all the parts washed up in the parts tub I started the reassembly. First up was the bearing. It was one of those age old questions bearing on crank or into case first... so I once again tuned to you post and I think it was Mastermind some where that I read how he does it so I just copied him.

Cases cleaned up real well....
IMG_3225.JPG

To put it together I first put in the old oil pump in the pto side to set the bearing depth then heated the case with my heat gun to I think around 230 deg. Or so. (I used my cheap-o laser point and shoot thermometer to check). Them just drop the bearing in. No press....
IMG_3226.JPG

Give it a few minutes for the bearing to pull heat out of the case and expanded then the crank will just "snap" into place on the bearing race by hand.
IMG_3227.JPG

While giving it a little bit to cool down I started heating the flywheel side just like the pto side. It takes longer than one would think to heat up a case half... Once the pto side was cool I put the gasket on dropped the bearing into the flywheel side gave that bearing a few min to soak up the heat then just pressed the thing together by hand and used the case bolt to tighten it all up. Worked GREAT! I did give it a few taps on both side with the old "industrial maraca" (dead blow) to release any stress and center the crank....
IMG_3228.JPG

Next came the tank.
IMG_3229.JPG

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh I almost forgot. New seals don't like "old surfaces" to ride on. So I cleaned up the crank for the new seals. Just need a string scotch bright and some WD-40.
IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3184.JPG
Put back and forth. It goes from this.
IMG_3181.JPG
To this
IMG_3505.PNG

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Next step was to button up the whole bottom end. Pull off the old oil pump used for bearing instal and put on the new one. I used 2-stroke oil to lub the oiler o-ring and new crank seals. Then install flywheel and coil....
IMG_3231.JPG

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever been inside a chain saw and put one back together. I do currently have a really nice 2100 taken 1/2 way down that needs a piston. I kinda have a real love for the 2100 after I heard my dads for the first time, he got it when I was 8. It's scared the s*** out of me and made my pants thight at the same time. Right then I feel in love with the big husky's! Lol. I now have 3 2100's, yet not a good piston in the lot. So I found that a 395 piston fits but needs work. This 272 and the next 288 that I will post up are the Guinea pigs to lead up to the 2100 build. I bought 2-2100's the 288 and a real nice 346xp oe runner all in a week and a half. the list of wants keeps growing..... I don't know anything about this "CAD" thing you guys keep talking about. I haven't run too many chainsaws much at all, at least not the ones you guys are used too.

These are the ones I run.
IMG_2167.JPG
Funny thing is I'm one of those "home owners" that only has 4 trees on my property and don't even have a wood stove. Lol.

roadster27

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know most would just do a gasket delete on there first saw build but I'm not that kinda guy. I can leave anything alone. I do have a lathe that I probably have no business running but hey, it's my lathe, my saw, and my money.... So let the chips fly! I did by a new meteor P/C just in case I wand this thing in to a paper weight and need to round file the cylinder.
IMG_3177.JPG
The goal was .020"-.025" squish. I landed at .023"....