First cut w/ square file chain

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The premise that sq doesn't hold it's edge as well as round chisel is...well, just not so.

It has a much stronger working corner.

I agree with this statement 100%. I have milled dead Hickory with square file, and ran 4 tanks of fuel through a 660 running square full comp on a 36" bar, milling Red Oak in the mid 20" range, and it was still cutting just fine.

Milling is about the toughest thing you can do to a chain. I use square for everything except dirty wood. But I am careful not to "farm" with it.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a newb question.
I picked up a 16" 26rs chain for my ms261 a while back because I didn't care for the way the green chain that came with the saw was cutting. I've always used round files in the past but after reading this thread and others on square filing I'm wanting to square file this chain. Are there different preferred file sizes based on the chain? Could any of you recommend a particular file for this chain if so or just take a small flat bastard to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a single or double bevel file.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with this statement 100%. I have milled dead Hickory with square file, and ran 4 tanks of fuel through a 660 running square full comp on a 36" bar, milling Red Oak in the mid 20" range, and it was still cutting just fine.

Milling is about the toughest thing you can do to a chain. I use square for everything except dirty wood. But I am careful not to "farm" with it.
I second this reply. I found the exact same results courtesy MrLee.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
mlgat-jpg.7579

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've got a newb question.
I picked up a 16" 26rs chain for my ms261 a while back because I didn't care for the way the green chain that came with the saw was cutting. I've always used round files in the past but after reading this thread and others on square filing I'm wanting to square file this chain. Are there different preferred file sizes based on the chain? Could any of you recommend a particular file for this chain if so or just take a small flat bastard to it?

To square file, you need one of three files, either a double bevel, triangle, or goofy file. All these files have cutting surfaces on all sides. That is important because when square filling you are filing two edges at the same time.
I regular flat file won't work.

I've personally only ever heard of square filed/ground chains in either 3/8 pitch, or .404. Not saying it couldn't be done in other pitches, it is just that I have never heard of it.

KZ1000

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So there I was, watching John Reilly's square filing vids, two clicks later I'm ordering a save edge file from @Definitive Dave, blink my eyes and a file is in my mailbox!

Then the fun starts. I'm working on my angles, getting the feel of it, and....

View attachment 71443

My first square chain cut!!!
Sorry, no video.
Nice back cut, but you may want to check the angle and adjust.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I converted .325 full chisel to square, works great on my MOFO 026. Same file.

A goofy file has rounded edges, and does not provide true square filed teeth. When I first start converting round to square, it looks kinda like it was done with a goofy file, but I see no purpose to having one. Go full square file.

waitingoneden

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the input gents. I'll let you know how it goes.

ChipsFlyin

OPE Platinum Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So there I was, watching John Reilly's square filing vids, two clicks later I'm ordering a save edge file from @Definitive Dave, blink my eyes and a file is in my mailbox!

Then the fun starts. I'm working on my angles, getting the feel of it, and....

View attachment 71443

My first square chain cut!!!
Sorry, no video.

I just saw this thread. Stupid me have done that twice! 1st when just starting that sq file and just recently trying to get a round file through a really small gullet on a beater safety chain. When the file skips I guess I'm pushing too hard... :rolleyes:I better start wearing gloves.