Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wonder if we have any blood sensitive members like my brother in law that pass out at the sight of it...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks good to me, but you may have to touch that raker. Tough to say w/o more teeth in the pic.

The test is always "how does it cut"??? To me, it can look ugly as sin, as long as it works!

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rakers are still original height. This was a chain I re-graded a stone driveway with:facepalm:.
It's 3/8, 20", probably will join the 038 magnum II in some willow clean up so I'll get pretty aggressive with the rakers.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does your chains look today? Have angles change at all?
I was going to offer my observation of this cutter, but since it is an old thread, I want to see how your filling currently first. ;)
Thanks for the reply.
I'm much more consistent now.
Very happy with my results, I believe the cutters are faster and more durable than round.
I'll try to take some pics soon.
I do welcome your observation, please share.

Last edited:

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I'm much more consistent now.
Very happy with my results, I believe the cutters are faster and more durable than round.
I'll try to take some pics soon.
I do welcome your observation, please share.

Hard to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like the corner is off some, a little high, giving you a side beak if you will.
As they say, if you're going to be off on your corner, be low, it'll cut and hold up better.

Other than that, looks great. Top plate is good, gullet is good.

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Btw, its the only way to post pictures on this site through a hosting service? Or can you upload them directly here?

Thanks

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Face it square is just a such gigantic pain the buttocks file only those in the PNW even fool with it --with a a file .I can do it but I don't like it .What 5 minutes on a 20" loop versus half an hour on a freakin loop of square --on hard wood .Might as well pee in the Atlantic and try to raise the water level --humbug .

TravisJellison

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Face it square is just a such gigantic pain the buttocks file only those in the PNW even fool with it --with a a file .I can do it but I don't like it .What 5 minutes on a 20" loop versus half an hour on a freakin loop of square --on hard wood .Might as well pee in the Atlantic and try to raise the water level --humbug .
I am in NW Illinois, took me about ten minutes to hand file my RSL chain this morning, gullets an rakers. Cut for three hours, 36"-42" White Oak. ;)

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have converted several RS to square, no problem, w/o a grinder. Truth be known, my first few filings only likely "partly convert" it, but I get that corner and it cuts just fine.

I even recently converted a 36" RS that I then milled with. Went 4 tanks with the 660 in 20+" Red Oak, and it was still milling well. I just do 4 or 5 strokes a tooth, make sure I get the corner, and the rest of it comes along on subsequent filings. (The first few times it almost looks like you used a goofy file).

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It isn't that I can't file because I can . Bear in mind a majority of the stuff I cut is standing dead and hard as a rock and frankly I could probably do as well with semi chisel than the round chisel I use for work chains .I doubt seriously if square would last long in those dead hard as a rock ash and hickory .I mean it's bad enough I have to file every tank . Lawdy if it was square all I'd get done is file .
I think I have one 36" loop and a couple of 20" loops Rocky J sent me plus a few home grown race chains .Maybe a few more that I have no idea where they are at .

waitingoneden

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've got a newb question.
I picked up a 16" 26rs chain for my ms261 a while back because I didn't care for the way the green chain that came with the saw was cutting. I've always used round files in the past but after reading this thread and others on square filing I'm wanting to square file this chain. Are there different preferred file sizes based on the chain? Could any of you recommend a particular file for this chain if so or just take a small flat bastard to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk