HLSupply Chainsaw Parts Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Firewood tractors

Discussion in 'Tree Work Equipment' started by Ryan Browne, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Locust Cutter

Locust Cutter Grade-A Hack

Yes it's a hydrostat. I think it has about 800 hours on it and it's currently on it's 3rd owner and I know Him well and the previous one. It's been well maintained, has the standard bucket, a box grader, 5' bush hog, post hole digger and rototiller... There may be a finish mower and pallet forks too, I'm not sure. I could probably buy the whole deal for 12K.

2. Locust Cutter

A good friend has a Deere 1025R and for 25hp I am impressed at what it can do with some finesse and careful operation, but for firewood it's both a God-send and lacking. That 3800 might be the ticket for having good maneuverability and capability without being too' big for tight places and average trailers. What's the weight on your NH in working order?

hseII likes this.
  3. Ryan Browne

Ryan Browne Pinnacle OPE Member

My TC29D weighs 2460 from the factory. I have fluid in the rear tires, which probably adds 500# or so. Mine doesn't have a loader, so I add another 250# to the front. A loader would be more like 800# I suppose, depending on whether or not you have the bucket on.

The L3800 is similar in weight (2660) from the factory. Not sure if the tires are loaded on the one you're considering, but I'd strongly recommend getting them filled if they're not. So, if you had filled tires, the loader, with the bucket on, you'd be somewhere around 4000#. Not a bulldozer, but pretty capable.

The guy I bought my NH from was using it with a Farmi 351 skidding winch. It was a pretty decent setup for him. It has R4 industrial tires, which are very durable, and better on the lawn, but lack traction compared to the R1 ag tires. If I wanted to continue using it in the woods I would find a set of ag tires and or a set of tire chains, ideally front and rear.

That sounds like a heck of a deal for 12k. Around here, with all those attachments, that'd be a 20k setup I bet. Hopefully it has the SSQA setup on the loader; I think it was still optional on that model. Either way, it's a steal. It's not a skid steer or a dozer, but dress it up right, and it'll be a great firewood machine. Handier than a pocket on a shirt, as they say. Hell, if you don't want it for 12k, let me know. I'll buy it in a heartbeat, with a finder's fee included, of course :).

hseII and Locust Cutter like this.
  4. Locust Cutter

I intend to make it happen as soon as I can. It's not going anywhere anytime soon though as the neighbor likes using it from time to time. Ought to be just what I've been looking for and I shouldn't need a dual tandem GN just to haul it.

Ryan Browne likes this.
  5. Dasmoose

Dasmoose Well-Known OPE Member

Been tugging firewood with garden tractors for a long time. Started with a gt6000 gear transaxle, broke reverse and cracked the case so went to a gt5000 hydro. That thing didn't pull for a dam so we got a case 646 loader. A couple years after that I got bored and stabbed a 7hp yanmar diesel in a Massey 8 then swapped the stock transaxle for the gt6000 style so I could run 12" rims. Was a fun little beast with wheel weights and suitcases it was close to 1500#. It couldn't be stopped in 1st low if it wasn't moving it was digging. Not one of my best projects but it was neat sold it for $1500 think I had 500 into it lol

Attached Files:

Locust Cutter and Ryan Browne like this.
  6. Ryan Browne

Ryan Browne Pinnacle OPE Member

This isn't the way I usually do things, but it happened to work this way today. Thought it was picture worthy.

rps20171018_165855.jpg