High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood thread!!! Let's see what you got!!!!

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
4:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Mulberry is great! I cut Hedge for the cold weather, Oak, Mulberry, Red Elm Locust, Ash and Hackleberry for moderate cold and then Cedar, Pine, Siberian Elm, Bradford Pear, Walnut, and others for shoulder season.

Ahem...
View attachment 214587
View attachment 214588
View attachment 214589
eff that...
Send me a prepaid shipping label next time and I'll give it all to you. 34T 10 horse.
You should try that with a Super Split Special Edition. It does surprisingly well slicing through that crap. Keep the wedge filed up a bit and peel from the outside in, and you'll do very well.

Battle Cross 2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mulberry is great! I cut Hedge for the cold weather, Oak, Mulberry, Red Elm Locust, Ash and Hackleberry for moderate cold and then Cedar, Pine, Siberian Elm, Bradford Pear, Walnut, and others for shoulder season.

You should try that with a Super Split Special Edition. It does surprisingly well slicing through that crap. Keep the wedge filed up a bit and peel from the outside in, and you'll do very well.
Theres very little hedge around here. Most of it is on private property. Theres a golf course on the way to another members house that has hedge lining the road but I doubt they would let me cut any.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have seen elm that even the SS Special Edition couldn't split. It may have been your splitter. It (the elm) wouldn't split with a hydro either. Had to noodle the whole damned tree; even the small stuff (8") wouldn't split. The only analogy I can come up with is imagine trying to split 8-18" steel cable. Never seen anything like it.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only way to split elm is when it is like 20 out or colder then it pops right open
Tried that before, with the first run in I had with elm. I didn't help one bit.

Another major negative is all 3 times I've burned elm, my stove got clogged up with mainly one large brick of hard ash. In this instance, I broke it up so I could get it through the shaker grates and into the ash pan. After that, I pulled this out to show. What a pita.
No way I'm shoveling it out with a stove like this:
IMG_0875.JPG

So the pics I showed above was an instance where I cleared a lot for a friend. There was one elm so I kinda had to clear it. I gave away 80% of that wood but there are still some splits in my stacks. I set them aside till I had enough for a stove full. After burning, I had the rather large brick/mess. I hate it, I'm done. Won't bring it onto my property again. I have access to much better wood so I can afford to snob it off.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if i lived closer i would take it off your hands

There are different species of elm. The red elm, which is almost non-existent around here, is the elm everybody loves to burn and not bad to split. Most of the other stuff is a pita.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Red elm isn’t too bad to split green. The stuff Jason posted pics of above is white, or American Elm. Gnarly shît. But if you can find them standing or on the ground dead, they split about like anything else. Dead, the white variety almost appears punky but still has good weight when dry. We burned a boatload of it when I was a kid

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Merry+christmas+ya+filthy+animals_0788f2_6126468.jpg

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,
Wife & I did some quick fireworks scrounging. Found some pig nut hickory, locust, hackberry...
Also stumbled upon what I thought was a dead down black locust, but after the wood chips commenced a flying, it appears to be something else.
Any ideas...red elm, red maple?
Doesn't resemble any red oak I've ever cut.
Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!
20191226_155116.jpg 20191226_144406.jpg 20191226_160003.jpg 20191226_144403.jpg