High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood thread!!! Let's see what you got!!!!

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're alive aren't You!? ;)
Thank God I knew better than standing in the tension side. That thing moved a half a foot when I made kerf cuts on the pressure side, it had a big bow in it, then I cut a half inch relief cut on the tension side then snipped the top, it slammed right tight together and didn't drop at all :eek:. So I made a few more relief cuts and knocked it off with a large sledge hammer, it moved about a foot when it came off the "stump" twisted nasty thing it was.
Tackled this one today. Do you think I can save it :p.
Got some nice firewood rounds out of it and 3 nice sized logs I hope to get some boards out of even though they aren't 100% straight. Black locust is a great weather resistant wood, as far as I know the best in Michigan.
Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.07.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 8.08.24 PM.png

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wasn't trying to criticize. Just commenting how dangerous they are when they are mixed up in other trees. I made a few like that. Not fun at all...
Stay safe sir...
Nice job.
I didn't think you were.
But even if you were I'm not offended ;) I ain't claiming I know it all, but at the same time I know things look different in a picture than in person.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you say locust Rob :D.
Hey @KS Plainsman here's what black locust looks like. There are also a couple cherry rounds on the ground and a smaller cherry log as well under the cut end of the locust.
Anyone want to come play, we have a lot more at the house now since a storm blew through Thursday :eek:.
I didn't really want any green wood right now, but I got a bunch; so much for cleaning all my piles up, but it sure beats not having enough wood :applaudit:.
View attachment 199432

Thanks for the picture for reference! I used to try to not have "too much" wood around when I first started burning wood. As long as I was a year ahead, I was content. Then I had to scramble for 1 winter, because I got low on wood and swore that'd never happen again! Now, I take everything I can get, when I can get it! Even if I have more than enough!

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the picture for reference! I used to try to not have "too much" wood around when I first started burning wood. As long as I was a year ahead, I was content. Then I had to scramble for 1 winter, because I got low on wood and swore that'd never happen again! Now, I take everything I can get, when I can get it! Even if I have more than enough!
I settled in to the 3 year plan and it works good. Plenty of time to season wood and if I get injured, it’s there to lean on which I recently did. I still had 1.5-2 years worth seasoned when I started back at it. Ended up being lots and lots of oak which takes a bit longer to dry so having that extra really paid in the end.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I settled in to the 3 year plan and it works good. Plenty of time to season wood and if I get injured, it’s there to lean on which I recently did. I still had 1.5-2 years worth seasoned when I started back at it. Ended up being lots and lots of oak which takes a bit longer to dry so having that extra really paid in the end.

After my scrounge year, I've managed to stay at least that much ahead as well, and want to, for the same reason you mentioned. I'm all I've got. So if I get injured (knock on wood) I at least know I'll have heat. My stacks here are right around 5 cord a piece, so I generally figure 1 stack per year, give or take. Also alot of mine is Locust, so it keeps better than alot of woods, and I have yet to run into any that's punky, that wasn't dead for years before I got there. So if it sits, it's not hurting anything. I always use whatever cottonwood I have on hand first, since it doesn't stay as rot resistant.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

LMAO...Perfect illustration of what we get here too. I see some of the trees out west and east with 80' of straight stem and it blows my mind. Processing 80' of straight red oak, 28-32" diameter, is something I can only dream about.

I see that long thorn hiding, just waiting to make your day miserable.

Last edited: