High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood thread!!! Let's see what you got!!!!

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Especially Hydraulics connected to a tractor:

161296915.jMH0hj9L.jpg
I've heard of a saw running on vapors, but not vaping o_O.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many cords will you be burning Ryan?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Depends on a couple things. One, I ordered a Lamppa Vapor Fire 100 a few weeks ago. Hoping to get that installed in the coming few weeks. I'm hoping that will cut my wood consumption in the house dramatically. We like it pretty warm in the house, and by Yukon Klondike really goes through the wood.

And two, the syrup season. If we have a poor year I might burn 4 cords of wood, maybe 5. Another good year like last year and I'll burn 10 or more. I burn mostly softwood in the evaporator, but I will have to mix in some ash or even oak this year since I don't have enough softwood this year. Plenty of wood, just not my preferred type for the job.

So, in a year I could burn between 8-20. How about you?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wood burning fireplace left with the previous owner.
180e2eded570ad1535f50fd43c087db3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

After I got off the phone from ordering my new wood furnace I had a brief moment of reconsideration. The thought of setting a dial and forgetting about it seemed pretty cool. If we had natural gas available I'd have thought much more seriously about it. Not heating with wood would be a pretty major lifestyle change for me, but I try to be open minded. I'd still cut wood I figured, but sell more. On the one hand, my wood is pretty much free most of the time, but on the other hand, it's worth what I can sell it for. Around here, I can sell oak for $350/cord delivered, so my wood heat isn't exactly free. But then I remembered that I mostly burn weird chunks and stuff that's either too long or too short, etc.

So, I guess I'm committed. When the Lamppa wears out in 30 years I'll get to reconsider again.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on a couple things. One, I ordered a Lamppa Vapor Fire 100 a few weeks ago. Hoping to get that installed in the coming few weeks. I'm hoping that will cut my wood consumption in the house dramatically. We like it pretty warm in the house, and by Yukon Klondike really goes through the wood.

And two, the syrup season. If we have a poor year I might burn 4 cords of wood, maybe 5. Another good year like last year and I'll burn 10 or more. I burn mostly softwood in the evaporator, but I will have to mix in some ash or even oak this year since I don't have enough softwood this year. Plenty of wood, just not my preferred type for the job.

So, in a year I could burn between 8-20. How about you?
I was just looking at their stoves/furnaces last week, they are something I'm considering. I figure that I could get a longer burn out of it than the pacific energy mid sized stove we have currently. It heats our house just fine unless it's down below 10 for an extended time, then I have to be on it all the time or we loose the temp in here pretty quick, good those temps don't last that long here as they do up your way, Lake Michigan helps moderate the temps here a lot.

Can you start a thread on the install/how your liking the stove once you get it, it would be something many could benefit from.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I certainly will Brett. My current furnace is in rough shape and it's a real wood eater. If the Vapor Fire is half as good as people say, it'll be a huge improvement.
I look forward to it.
Mind if I ask what it's costing to get it to your place.

I have a tab open with their website up, and had been looking into a good bit when I seen your first post on it, great minds think alike :beer-toast1:.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I look forward to it.
Mind if I ask what it's costing to get it to your place.

I have a tab open with their website up, and had been looking into a good bit when I seen your first post on it, great minds think alike :beer-toast1:.

Not at all. They list them at $5295 I think. I paid a $500 (refundable) deposit and the rest is due when I pick it up. Not cheap by any means, but my furnace needs replacement. I'd rather have the best furnace I can buy and also have a 25 year warranty on the firebox than a questionable $2500 furnace.

They're about 4 hours from me. It's winter so I've got some time to head up and get it myself. Dale said they charge something like $100 or $150 to crate them up for shipping, plus whatever the shipping cost for two pallets is. I figure it's worth the fuel and time cost to go see the facility and check out the one they have running. Plus I can bug them with my installation questions in person rather than on the phone. I'll probably grease the wheels with a couple bottles of maple syrup too. That way when I keep bothering them on the phone they don't get quite so irritated. :)

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny. He quoted me roughly $300 to ship to my house on a drop gate truck. Even less if I can get it shipped to a store with a loading dock and fork lift option. I’m straight east from Ryan so it’s close to 8 hour drive for me. I can’t drive 16+ hours for $200.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huh. That is funny. Sounds pretty cheap for lift gate service, especially if part of that is the crating charge. Sounds like a good deal to me! I hope you're not about to tell me that they offered you 10% off list price too...

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Huh. That is funny. Sounds pretty cheap for lift gate service, especially if part of that is the crating charge. Sounds like a good deal to me! I hope you're not about to tell me that they offered you 10% off list price too...

20%.... firefighter discount [emoji16]

Just kidding.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny. He quoted me roughly $300 to ship to my house on a drop gate truck. Even less if I can get it shipped to a store with a loading dock and fork lift option. I’m straight east from Ryan so it’s close to 8 hour drive for me. I can’t drive 16+ hours for $200.
Sometimes paying a little extra up front saves a lot down the road.
20%.... firefighter discount [emoji16]
Just kidding.
This was right around the corner from our place, may have been wood stove related. The older brother(not the one who didn't make it, I went to school with him) used to sell a lot of green firewood, chimney was always smoking.
Sad no matter the reason for it.
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2018/11/man_dies_in_kent_county_house.html
Not at all. They list them at $5295 I think. I paid a $500 (refundable) deposit and the rest is due when I pick it up. Not cheap by any means, but my furnace needs replacement. I'd rather have the best furnace I can buy and also have a 25 year warranty on the firebox than a questionable $2500 furnace.

They're about 4 hours from me. It's winter so I've got some time to head up and get it myself. Dale said they charge something like $100 or $150 to crate them up for shipping, plus whatever the shipping cost for two pallets is. I figure it's worth the fuel and time cost to go see the facility and check out the one they have running. Plus I can bug them with my installation questions in person rather than on the phone. I'll probably grease the wheels with a couple bottles of maple syrup too. That way when I keep bothering them on the phone they don't get quite so irritated. :)
Thanks, that answers a good amount of the questions I had, there are always extra charges. I saw their online prices, just wasn't sure how far off that it would be, I had an extra grand in my mind by the time I got it here and 500 or so more in supplies and tools to get it installed. Cool you were able to get one in their busy season, hopefully the syrup will be a preventative measure that keeps you from having any issues :).