High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood Hauler: A 26 ft UHaul truck or traditional utility trailer?

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The specs from Uhaul's site says it can haul 9010 lbs. Empty weight, 12,990. Gross weight, 25,999.

I would love to see an actual door sticker on this trucks capacity. I could be wrong, but I thought those trucks were physically capable of 35k gross. Uhaul just registers and only allows 25,999lbs because 26k is CDL territory.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This sounds like an argument when there's absolutely nothing else left on the planet to debate. One of those 'two to three cases around a firepit kinda nights, then hair of the dog sets in the next morning, and it's right back to square one.' Can someone make a beer run...
:argue: :argue: :argue:

Last edited:

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
8:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I like Ron White..

How the hell did he add 6 inches of ground clearance? Step up to some 24.5s?

Now if he fills it to legal weight, to me it would seem better than having a truck and trailer. I don't know about most of you but I can back a truck up a lot faster than a trailer. Plus does @Hedgerow have a big flat bed like this?

I got a GMC 6500 with a 20' dump bed. On par with a chassis of a U-Haul truck. Most I've ever delivered has been 2.6 cords. And you sure knew it was back there.

I would love to see an actual door sticker on this trucks capacity. I could be wrong, but I thought those trucks were physically capable of 35k gross. Uhaul just registers and only allows 25,999lbs because 26k is CDL territory.
Chassis can handle 30K Gross, but that still only comes out to 3 cord.
Green wood is heavy *s-word.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I don't know about CDL stuff, but yeah, I'm sure it can handle more than what it's rated for, but even if a guy pushed it to 35k, that's still only 4 cord. That's a far cry from 12. Which was one of the arguments from the get go.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know about CDL stuff, but yeah, I'm sure it can handle more than what it's rated for, but even if a guy pushed it to 35k, that's still only 4 cord. That's a far cry from 12. Which was one of the arguments from the get go.
It's still only got 4 rear tires. Most single axle trucks will get plated for 24k lbs. Longer wheelbase may get them to 28k. Tandems are usually 48 or 54k

motoOzarks

motoMonster
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought this to make a tractor hauler out of but never got around to it and sold it off.
Uhaul had removed a bunch of boxes and were selling these cab and chassis. Had new brakes and great tires clean interior A/C good clutch no rust air bag DSCF0031 (1).JPG Arizona truck. No third gear but I could deal with it. 7.3 was no hot rod.
$700.00 was alot of truck for the money I thought.

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A green cord of oak is roughly 4500 pounds if memory serves me correctly. I’d love to see someone try it. That truck might sink on asphalt!

Ontario Firewood Resource

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
U-Haul 26 footers are weak. Made for home stuff not commercial weight. I'm in the scrap metal business and I've rented them and have heard of other scrap guys blowing their trannys. Wood is heavier than metal!

Here's my scrap/ junk/ firewood hauler, 93 GMC Sierra 3500 dually. it dumps and lifts!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
U-Haul 26 footers are weak. Made for home stuff not commercial weight. I'm in the scrap metal business and I've rented them and have heard of other scrap guys blowing their trannys. Wood is heavier than metal!

Here's my scrap/ junk/ firewood hauler, 93 GMC Sierra 3500 dually. it dumps and lifts!

Wood is heavier than metal?! o_O
Maybe an unintended typo.

Going to extremes, I want to see a piece of wood the size/volume of a 5 liter canister weighing over 40kg.
That's what a canister full of Tungsten (Solid-Carbide) scrap weighs.
I know I took an extreme for comparison, but it IS a metal.

My apologies if I sound offensive, it was not my intention.
I am a metal worker and I know that hauling wood makes me less tired than handling metal.

Interesting operation You have, I have been watching some of Your videos.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wood is heavier than metal?! o_O
Maybe an unintended typo.

Going to extremes, I want to see a piece of wood the size/volume of a 5 liter canister weighing over 40kg.
That's what a canister full of Tungsten (Solid-Carbide) scrap weighs.
I know I took an extreme for comparison, but it IS a metal.

My apologies if I sound offensive, it was not my intention.
I am a metal worker and I know that hauling wood makes me less tired than handling metal.

Interesting operation You have, I have been watching some of Your videos.

The statement I made is true in one aspect, I should explain better. Your perspective is absolutely true, I am stating that typical scrap metal loads and their volume USUALLY are lighter than load of fresh cut wood that I pick up. I fill my truck box (11 x 7 x 5ft) with wood only to the three foot high level. A TYPICAL scrap metal load will be more voluminous than than a load of wood, I put two words in capitals because there is the odd time where I pick up metal items that are much heavier than the norm like indusstrial machinery, forklifts, etc. Ive even had cars in the back of my truck (with the extra nearly 4 feet having my power tailgate laid down) and cars weigh less by volume than wood as well. Thanks for watching, there is much more to come. I just started 6 weeks ago and only the bloody winter is preventing me from pumping out more material than I currently am able to do. The wood yard is snowed out, luckily I got a free plow the other day, but my wood pile is covered in snow and not much tree cutters out so I'm not getting much wood (or wood diversity for tree identification and other demonstrations at that. If anyone is into WWII, I will be adding footage of the Avro Lancaster 4-engine heavy bomber, one of only two that fly in the world and I will also include fishing, hopefully starting with an ice fishing video next weekend. Please like and subscribe and get notifications! Thanks in advance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The statement I made is true in one aspect, I should explain better. Your perspective is absolutely true, I am stating that typical scrap metal loads and their volume USUALLY are lighter than load of fresh cut wood that I pick up. I fill my truck box (11 x 7 x 5ft) with wood only to the three foot high level. A TYPICAL scrap metal load will be more voluminous than than a load of wood, I put two words in capitals because there is the odd time where I pick up metal items that are much heavier than the norm like indusstrial machinery, forklifts, etc. Ive even had cars in the back of my truck (with the extra nearly 4 feet having my power tailgate laid down) and cars weigh less by volume than wood as well. Thanks for watching, there is much more to come. I just started 6 weeks ago and only the bloody winter is preventing me from pumping out more material than I currently am able to do. The wood yard is snowed out, luckily I got a free plow the other day, but my wood pile is covered in snow and not much tree cutters out so I'm not getting much wood (or wood diversity for tree identification and other demonstrations at that. If anyone is into WWII, I will be adding footage of the Avro Lancaster 4-engine heavy bomber, one of only two that fly in the world and I will also include fishing, hopefully starting with an ice fishing video next weekend. Please like and subscribe and get notifications! Thanks in advance

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True, tin sheet scrap metal takes up a lot of volume without having too much weight.
Cars aren't heavy either considering the volume they take up, a typical European personal vehicle is about 1100 to 1300 kg.
I don't work with tin sheet at all, it's steel and cast iron for me, as such my thoughts were on the opposite side of the scale of things.

I process turkey oak for firewood, that species is freaking heavy green!!!
So, yes I can imagine the weight of wood loads.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That truck has more guts than a 6.5.

More brakes & such also, really not a bad rig with a few adjustments.

I’m digging your dump bed/ lift gate combo however.

I grew up with the 6.2/8.2/6.5 fue pincher/ drippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an F700 flatbed and the big ugly beast in my avatar. I like 'em big. Get more done in one shot. F700 is surprisingly good off road. Don't fill it to the top and it won't be too heavy or tippy. If you're cutting already dead wood as I usually do, it won't be that heavy and can go straight to sale. Makes sense to me. I dunno about spending that much $ to get it going. The $700 7.3 deal sounds better. I read a story once about a guy who bought and old diesel schoolbus cheap and converted the front 1/4 of it to living quarters and the rear into a flatbed. He had amassed quite a fortune living in and hauling with his truckbus.

Advantage to the truck n trailer is as stated, you can disconnect and do other stuff.

I'm very fond of flatbed trucks with flipdown sides...can get a lot more on them than a pickup, more durable. Dump would be really nice.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That truck has more guts than a 6.5.

More brakes & such also, really not a bad rig with a few adjustments.

I’m digging your dump bed/ lift gate combo however.

I grew up with the 6.2/8.2/6.5 fue pincher/ drippers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thansk. Dump/ lift combo comes in handy but the tailgate sometimes prevents loads from the truck emptying fully. Ya for sure, those U-Haul gas trucks sound like racers. I wish Toyota had an Option..yes the have Hino which is great, but no aftermarket parts so theyre expensive to fix. Not sure what costs more, gas vehicle with less repairs or diesel with costly repairs. Both seem viable and costly. Any thoughts anyone? Having a bigger box than a pickup seems like its more worth it to have gas but I still save 30 to 35% onfuel with diesel. Too bad diesel isn't 2/3rds of what the gas price is anymore

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
http://www.carguysonline.com/vehicl...y-diesel-with-liftgate-crozier-va-id-40489553
fffa0f15346864e2c78e6e8248051341.jpg

This one tickles my inner kid. I'm tempted to go look at it.