High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Firewood Hauler: A 26 ft UHaul truck or traditional utility trailer?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,

Gotta a little debate with a friend of mine who says his 26 ft U Haul is actually more efficient for hauling firewood around.
After his old F350 gave up the ghost, he bought this at an estate sale for $1500, rebuilt the tranny, replaced the spring slats, overhauled the engine, and raised the clearance about 6 inches as well.
It serves double duty as he also does a part time moving service.
He says the additional clearance gives him access to the gnarliest roads & woods, unless it's boggy or too steep. o_O
Here is the capacity of his 26-foot U-Haul – 26'5” x 7'8” x 8'3” and a volume capacity of 1,611 cubic feet.
A cord of wood being a 128 cubic ft would allow him the ability to haul over 12 1/2 cords at a time!:eek:
That's a hellava lotta wood in one swoop!!
BTW...how much does a cord of green oak or hickory weigh?:nusenuse:

He tows his splitter, saws, food, firearms, toiletries, and basically just sets up shop till he has her full to the rim so to speak! :buenrollo:He leaves the bulk of the wood inside the truck, to avoid multiple handling when delivering to his customers.
I still would opt NOT to, "fell, buck, split, haul up & down a ramp--12 freaking cords of wood at one sitting!! I'd prefer a traditional trailer with what ever limitations they have.
A mammoth, cumbersome 13 ton truck out in the middle of the woods is a recipe for disaster!

Whats your thoughts on this?

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thoughts are, by the time I cut enough wood and fill my long bed Chevy and long bed pickup box trailer, I've had about enough (that includes limb cleanup). So something that big doesn't make any sense to me. Also, I wouldn't want to be hauling all that extra wood around constantly. Why burn the extra fuel?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thoughts are, by the time I cut enough wood and fill my long bed Chevy and long bed pickup box trailer, I've had about enough (that includes limb cleanup). So something that big doesn't make any sense to me. Also, I wouldn't want to be hauling all that extra wood around constantly. Why burn the extra fuel?
I concur.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,

Gotta a little debate with a friend of mine who says his 26 ft U Haul is actually more efficient for hauling firewood around.
After his old F350 gave up the ghost, he bought this at an estate sale for $1500, rebuilt the tranny, replaced the spring slats, overhauled the engine, and raised the clearance about 6 inches as well.
It serves double duty as he also does a part time moving service.
He says the additional clearance gives him access to the gnarliest roads & woods, unless it's boggy or too steep. o_O
Here is the capacity of his 26-foot U-Haul – 26'5” x 7'8” x 8'3” and a volume capacity of 1,611 cubic feet.
A cord of wood being a 128 cubic ft would allow him the ability to haul over 12 1/2 cords at a time!:eek:
That's a hellava lotta wood in one swoop!!
BTW...how much does a cord of green oak or hickory weigh?:nusenuse:

He tows his splitter, saws, food, firearms, toiletries, and basically just sets up shop till he has her full to the rim so to speak! :buenrollo:He leaves the bulk of the wood inside the truck, to avoid multiple handling when delivering to his customers.
I still would opt NOT to, "fell, buck, split, haul up & down a ramp--12 freaking cords of wood at one sitting!! I'd prefer a traditional trailer with what ever limitations they have.
A mammoth, cumbersome 13 ton truck out in the middle of the woods is a recipe for disaster!

Whats your thoughts on this?

12.5 cords of green oak or hickory is 60-70,000 lbs!!!!! Is the U-Haul rated for that?

Also, he must be selling green wood if he leaves the bulk of the wood in the truck until delivery.

Pics or it didn't happen.

This

^^^^This

I refuse to waste my time and energy debating with people like in the OP. I have tried, they never listen. If they want to roll like they do, then I just let them. If he can make it work for him, more power to him.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
12.5 cords of green oak or hickory is 60-70,000 lbs!!!!! Is the U-Haul rated for that?

Also, he must be selling green wood if he leaves the bulk of the wood in the truck until delivery.

This

^^^^This

I refuse to waste my time and energy debating with people like in the OP. I have tried, they never listen. If they want to roll like they do, then I just let them. If he can make it work for him, more power to him.

The specs from Uhaul's site says it can haul 9010 lbs. Empty weight, 12,990. Gross weight, 25,999.

So basically the argument is all for not, as it can't do what he wanted anyways.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yup. Loaded he'll be calculating fuel efficiency in gallons to the mile, not miles to the gallon. He'll be working just to fuel the truck.
IF he manages to get that thing somewhere remote and/or load it to the gills then gets rain, a flat, or a breakdown while off road, he is majorly and completely fooked. At least with a trailer, you can unhook and go from there.
Just a couple of the things that immediately come to mind.
20190916_215553.jpg

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. Loaded he'll be calculating fuel efficiency in gallons to the mile, not miles to the gallon. He'll be working just to fuel the truck.
IF he manages to get that thing somewhere remote and/or load it to the gills then gets rain, a flat, or a breakdown while off road, he is majorly and completely fooked. At least with a trailer, you can unhook and go from there.
View attachment 199604

Not to mention how top heavy that thing would be loaded to the gills. I live on the plains and I wouldn't take something like that loaded, out here. One low spot or hole you don't see, and that sucker could tip over.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This

^^^^This

Same here...my debating days are long gone.
You can debate, show hardcore data, & stats...and grown folks will still do what they want to do.
He has been bullheaded & unteachable all of his life---and has had a very painful life because of it!

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 199604
I advised him on the terrain and top heavy problems...

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here...my debating days are long gone.
You can debate, show hardcore data, & stats...and grown folks will still do what they want to do.
He has been bullheaded & unteachable all of his life---and has had a very painful life because of it!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How the hell did he add 6 inches of ground clearance? Step up to some 24.5s?

Now if he fills it to legal weight, to me it would seem better than having a truck and trailer. I don't know about most of you but I can back a truck up a lot faster than a trailer. Plus does @Hedgerow have a big flat bed like this?