Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi all!

We just purchased a house with a wood stove. I would really like to heat my house this coming winter with it. The issue is I'm having trouble finding wood to cut that is ready to burn. I would like to buy a cord or two but I'm having trouble finding wood to buy and have delivered. Any of you live near me and sell wood?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you were closer I would help you out.A twenty dollar permit could get you all the wood you would need in the Manistee Forest.

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me, wood is never ready to burn unless it's been split, stacked and top covered for a minimum of 2 years. Sometimes you can buy wood that's been split for a year but usually when they say it's seasoned means it's been sitting as a log for part of a year and just recently got split.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm hoping to find something burnable

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My simple point is that with wood that is not dry enough you have creosote buildup. I burn 3 full cord a year for 5yrs now. Each year I clean my flue pipe once, and each time I get about 2cups of white/grey powder and the inside of the flue is still metal color. Now, I take great care and pride in that fact but I know many others that don't care. I have a friend that owns his own chimney sweep business and he cannot believe how clean my flue is each year.

If it were me, I would not burn this winter. I would become the most ravenous wood scrounger and build a supply twice what you need before spring. Some will sorta dry before next year , the rest will be nice for the following year. And keep that rotation up. Make friends with all the tree companies, follow Davey around when they are clearing power lines, knock on doors when you see the blue X on trees in their yard. You'd be amazed how people react when you tell them you'll clean up their wood for free. Honestly they usually laugh at you like you're an idiot.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just hoping someone has an over abundance of seasoned wood and would be willing to sell me a cord. I'll get by on propane but wood is still cheaper

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got Hedge, but shipping would be a killer... LOL

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somehow missed this. Still need wood?

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Somehow missed this. Still need wood?
Missed your post. I found a local seller with very well seasoned oak. Probably a little pricy @ $55 delivered for a bed full but it'll work. I have a tree company dropping wood now so hopefully I'll be all set after this year. Are you from my area?

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Missed your post. I found a local seller with very well seasoned oak. Probably a little pricy @ $55 delivered for a bed full but it'll work. I have a tree company dropping wood now so hopefully I'll be all set after this year. Are you from my area?

No worries. I live over by Grand Rapids now but grew up in the thumb. I still go there to see my family so if you were to need wood I could get you some as well. After all you would get the OPE discount as well.

Flint Mitch

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No worries. I live over by Grand Rapids now but grew up in the thumb. I still go there to see my family so if you were to need wood I could get you some as well. After all you would get the OPE discount as well.
Thanks! If for some reason I am desperate I will definitely let you know