Reaction score
Country flag

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
You suppose a guy could run much shorter BD than normal on just the fingers then? I wouldn't ever run 14 BD on an 066 with the uppers.
If fingers are adding fresh charge and helping move exhaust out why not give them time to do it before the mains open.

I've opened them 4 degrees before the mains and it worked well but that's as far as I've went, maybe someone else has done more.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This thread would be locked........and ten people would be banned.
That's a shame too,everyone here can benefit from these threads,we all can build stronger saws from it.

If we take the best parts from every builders saw and put it together were gonna have the best saw there is and I think anybody who wants to build one should feel free to ask how without being called stupid. There is no dumb question.

leadfarmer

Hot Rod !!!
Local time
1:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, blown out of the water and still no idle problems or "excessive" fuel use

View attachment 10116 View attachment 10117 View attachment 10120
4b4b99c21d9b6fd151033d752dc3e290.jpg

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather the first portion of the transfer process bypasses the carb.
Or flows on top of the throttle plate in the carb thus not picking up any fuel and bypassing the crankcase. I think from looking at this 201t I'm working on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Backyard Lumberjack

Do you know how much reading we would have to do on as to get this much content. :)

lots and lots... and you prob still wouldn't get this kind of information... but if one does that lots and lots, and then comes across this kind of information... he learns a lot! all that and some parts massaging, etc. too... several comments here are, imo... of significant importance given one is focused on optimization and can deal with the basics so that the pushed or leaned on mods do not alter the saw's perferformance in a negative manner... good stuff!

I spent no less than 4 hours this afternoon and early evening mocking up components to ports, (assembled piston on rod, or in bore at least half dozen times, observing and studying the events) studying piston to bore's components and noting further what, where and with who... the piston meets and hangs with as it does it vertical and descending travels... in part, taking in to account some of the comments made in this thread. and the result of it all is I clearly see numerous additional tweaks, kisses and massages that I can do to improve the cyl porting work I am doing... and this does not even start to address all the opportunities that the piston alone offers... well, you know the old saying... "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go!" lol...

chain saw verson: "speed costs time and knowledge, how many hours do you have... ? " lol

some of the places I went today:

P2100011.JPG P2100015.JPG P2100018.JPG

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lots and lots... and you prob still wouldn't get this kind of information... but if one does that lots and lots, and then comes across this kind of information... he learns a lot! all that and some parts massaging, etc. too... several comments here are, imo... of significant importance given one is focused on optimization and can deal with the basics so that the pushed or leaned on mods do not alter the saw's perferformance in a negative manner... good stuff!

I spent no less than 4 hours this afternoon and early evening mocking up components to ports, (assembled piston on rod, or in bore at least half dozen times, observing and studying the events) studying piston to bore's components and noting further what, where and with who... the piston meets and hangs with as it does it vertical and descending travels... in part, taking in to account some of the comments made in this thread. and the result of it all is I clearly see numerous additional tweaks, kisses and massages that I can do to improve the cyl porting work I am doing... and this does not even start to address all the opportunities that the piston alone offers... well, you know the old saying... "speed costs money, how fast do you want to go!" lol...

chain saw verson: "speed costs time and knowledge, how many hours do you have... ? " lol

some of the places I went today:

View attachment 10348 View attachment 10349 View attachment 10350
Lots of area in that ex. Looks good, but does it have enough arch in the roof? Hard to tell from that angle

B

Backyard Lumberjack

QUOTE="Deets066, post: 50992, member: 290"]Lots of area in that ex. Looks good, but does it have enough arch in the roof? Hard to tell from that angle[/QUOTE]

good question! as in does it have enough... or is it a good port shape? I could further modify the roof, but this isn't a ported cylinder... it just looks like one! lol... and as in the diff in years port timing as in 1970 vs now to ensure a bit more time for exh to depart cyl... I am more focused on flow. plan to keep port timing relatively unmodified, remember, this is not a ported cyl... just deflashed... ;) and I will be optimizing the 'dam' at the exit flange of the exh port to ensure the components do not, in part negate the full potential of my work. I am going to use the 044 steel heat flange as a heat sink... and so I have the port, the flange, the gasket and the muffler, which seems already has baffle removed, but has 1/16" on side and 1/32nd on top of bottom protrusion into port that offers little more than turbulence, sharp edges and flow hinderance.... I want those items to match nicely and be an extension of the port itself... so I plan to dowel pin all of them to locate and register them... then open all to same dims... additionally rather than do too much to roof... and because of some of the stuff here and my hands-on today, I see where I can improve the exhaust event... without having to mess too much with too much of a change to OE port shape. I am always reminded the saw's engine is an air pump... and I am massaging to improve its volumetric efficiency. the porting and casting deflashing has been fun. the rings all sit, fit and ride nicely in bore, no resistance at all... over port and bore shape at ports... and I am pretty excited about getting down and into the piston...

here is general area where I plan to dowel pin everything at the exhaust port. note dots either side...

P2100004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: