Fingers and Bridge ports

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We all have to get in one location and talk and run saws, randy and Scott and Mike,deeter and kevin the list goes on but I could talk for days about this stuff.

Somebody needs to set a date and we just do it. I can't wait to meet you guys.

spring/ early summer

I'm liking where this is going.

I've got wood and 700 acres to play on.

good

Who all could make it to southeast Missouri this spring?

more then 1

I want to set a date where the most can make it,any general ideas?

make up your mind already

I can be slow anytime so it doesn't matter to me.

yes yes we know

I can't take credit for that work sir.
I think it belongs to @tree monkey ?

nope not mine

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
9:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
044 porting work today, Mr. MM influenced! first cuts... work in progress...

View attachment 9840

View attachment 9841

View attachment 9842

View attachment 9843
Nice exhaust port.

I wouldn't have opened up the lowers like that, personally. I even know some guys that partially fill them. They're also cast to produce direction.

You're reducing velocity and increasing case volume. They're pretty big already, big enough.

I'm sure it will run great. My point here is that bigger isn't necessarily better all the time. Multiple small transfer tunnels will promote velocity and give decent flow. Big singles, lots of flow with less velocity.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you thinking copper or something like air brake line? They have both in several sizes I would think air line would be easier when you assemble...
Yes. Build up case with mag filler. Drill and tap. Build up jug with aluminum filler. Drill and tap.

Plumb copper line. Assemble to jug w comp fitting.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. Build up case with mag filler. Drill and tap. Build up jug with aluminum filler. Drill and tap.

Plumb copper line. Assemble to jug w comp fitting.

I can't see a problem other then distance the charge have to travel?? What are you thinking something like 3/8"? I would look a air brake hose just because it's flexible and would allow you to set the jug and then hook up your lines. Totally thinking out loud.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can also do barbed fitting and rubber hose.

The top of the intake inlet is in the way of where the port should be on 026.

B

Backyard Lumberjack

Nice exhaust port.

I wouldn't have opened up the lowers like that, personally. I even know some guys that partially fill them. They're also cast to produce direction.

You're reducing velocity and increasing case volume. They're pretty big already, big enough.

I'm sure it will run great. My point here is that bigger isn't necessarily better all the time. Multiple small transfer tunnels will promote velocity and give decent flow. Big singles, lots of flow with less velocity.

thanks for your input. I suppose in some respects (all) porting does what u say if in lower transfer ports. but I feel the mods are reasonable and little more than clean up work to casting marks. pix may make it look large, it wasnt small OE stock. as for total volume to include crankcase, doubt I have changed total overall by even 1%. I will replace any increase in overall volume with an increase in the incoming column of air speed and velocity. and volume, since a gas is compressible as it rams in. upstream will be carb mods, too... at 200 - 225 events per second (13,500 rpms) the way I see it there are 2 functions taking place. one is the mechanical relationship to those parts involved. second is the natural laws of physics affecting a) a gas b) and the fact that is also has mass. additionally I plan on some changes to increase the spooling of the reciprocating assembly, further strengthening the column of air's signal and kinetic energy and the saw's 2-stroke function.

I have thot about this phase of my 044 project in terms of a car. let's say a 69 Camaro. stock 327, auto hiway gears... nice, fun... good looking and classic in its lines. :) but I want to step on it some, and do a little street racing now n then. so... K&N air filter, ported valve pockets, fresh valve job, wake up call in camshaft dept - hydraulic but with some lift and increased duration, high energy plug wires, 2-degrees advance in timing, electronic trigger, MSD, looser converter, and out with the 3.09 rear gears and in with some 3.7 posi... and a set of Hedman headers... this car stock would quarter mile maybe 15.7... with these changes prob 13.5 - 14.2.

I am shooting for a 13.5 e.t. for my o44 in this phase of mods. as I see it, its all about the quality of the column of air in and out... and piston pressure. piston pressure is King and key to torque. the tweak in squish by about .008 while not a lot, is also in the realm of what will help it get towards that 13.5 e. t. range...

no one thing is overly important! all things considered. 'bolt it up' and run it... it is always a product of the combination of the parts...

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right.

Put AFR 230cc port Small block heads with a .700 lift cam and 300* of duration on that 327. It will rev to the moon, but go nowhere. Add the same to a 434 small block and it will be different.

So, I'm gonna copy your ports on my 044/6 Hybrid cause I want more case volume. You may wanna consider raising your intake floor a bit. I'll let the PRO's chime in on that.

What are your numbers?

I wasn't trying to criticize. I'm learning myself everyday.

Porting theory fascinates me.

B

Backyard Lumberjack

c
Right.

Put AFR 230cc port Small block heads with a .700 lift cam and 300* of duration on that 327. It will rev to the moon, but go nowhere. Add the same to a 434 small block and it will be different.

So, I'm gonna copy your ports on my 044/6 Hybrid cause I want more case volume. You may wanna consider raising your intake floor a bit. I'll let the PRO's chime in on that.

What are your numbers?

I wasn't trying to criticize. I'm learning myself everyday.

Porting theory fascinates me.

oic! lol... I think u have pushed my example a bit too far out of the box! (politely said) no reference to a 700 lift camshaft was mentioned. however, I do have a lot of experience with BB chevy mechanical cams at 675! really! :) but at 700 lift the porting to support it would push ports outside the casting lines of the block! lol

when it comes to porting this is one thing that is gospel... it all adds up to the combination of the parts... you either have a strong signal upping cylnder filling, or u have a lazy signal. I have no intent to raise the intake port floor, I will however, take a sqweak more out of the port's roof, off back by the cyl opening... as indicated my the magic marker notations.

ps: imo, a 700 cam with only 300 degrees adv duration wouldn't even be worth a dime... would require some significant lobe centerline changes...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>I wasn't trying to criticize.

I like your comments! :)

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it's just a cylinder. if it don't work start over. they'll make more:)

Exactly. I have a "tub of shame" that failed attempts end up in.

Please don't choose the last weekend in April, thats the IA spring GTG. Or you all could come join us!

All GTGs should check with each other when setting dates......it's a law ya know.

B

Backyard Lumberjack

Even after all that..... Each saw (brand, series, model... Etc) does not respond exactly the same to the same mods or "numbers".... There are also different ways (or styles) of building them to reach their potential..... Always a lot to be learned by a beginner, novice or even an experienced saw Porter!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

sage advice, its kinda like life... always a learning experience... the engine, cylinder... head port porter that tells me he has learned it all...gets scratched off my Top Ten List... omg, I just noticed...only one name there... LOL :pesas:

i'll say this on the subject in general... its also just like gardening! lots of how-to's books out there, and no two gardens the same... and no shortage of how to do this or that... the field is full of 'master gardeners'... but there are some real gems out there... and what they say is 'bullet-proof' foller their guidelines and you cannot, will not go wrong. success is assured...

same-o in porting... no shortage, every town has one. all engine builder shops have pals who port. pick a chainsaw porter you like, respect and admire... then follow their advice and suggestions... guidelines. you cannot go wrong and success is assured.

... success is assured!

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Exactly. I have a "tub of shame" that failed attempts end up in.

All GTGs should check with each other when setting dates......it's a law ya know.
That I believe is inevitable... Even slow methodical steps eventually "go to far" with what you are trying to accomplish...
Sometimes what you try may not work like you wanted it too, all part of it IMHO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk