Felling Wedges

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Occasionally a big Hickory will spit wedges.
I almost never use a wedge or carry them but there's times I wish I had one.
Hickory dosent lift well no matter what the wedge. Except this wedge out works good on them.
cb981a51adade8bd3fd45e2ec37d9db9.jpg

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I like them primarily to prevent binding. Just an insurance and safety piece for me.
I still bore every tree pretty much so I never really need one.
I see a lot of guys using them blocking firewood and see how useful they are for that but I never think to do it.
It's a good idea for sure

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since I don't use any heavy equipment, I always like to have a wedge or two close by, never know when they will come in handy. More & more, when the tree falls the saw has been shut off and the ax is hitting the wedge.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like using a plastic wedge bucking if its flat there is no farting about put it in and just cut down no need to read the cut to see if it's closing its fast. And its good practice (Tip for the Aussie guys) to always have a few big ass steel wedges and 10-12 pound sledge hammer handy cutting our hardwood, and no you don't carry them around you just have them handy close to where you are working like in ya ute with the crowbars ect. For a bad pinch plastic wages just explode pounding on them can't even get them started if the cut is closed in our hardwood, for softer woods plastic works fine. I couldn't imagine how bad it would suck to be stuck in the bush over here with a saw pinched in hardwood and no 2nd saw to cut it out and only a plastic wedge and axe to try free it lol.
Steel wages and a sledge will most always open a cut up to free ya saw or lift in a sit back in our hardwood anyway, that's what the old guys taught me.
In this vid I can't nick the ground it's a log yard only a inch or two of sawdust then rock hard packed rocky ground smokes ya chain if you hit it bugger sharpening if you don't have to, will get a tank out of it before it needs a rub if I don't hit the dirt.

Last edited:

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stacked three on top of each other a couple days ago. Any advice on how to stop them from kicking the wedges out? Tree was dead standing. My stump wasn't very pretty but it was safe. Wedge would kick out at about twenty mile an hour it seemed. None of my wedges had enough lift. Tree was about 30 inch ish. Never had one kick out before but I figure that plastic wedge on a solid bone dry oak they probably just didn't bite the way they would in green wood. Anyone ever see that. I was using woodland pro and husqvarna wedges. They could have had a sharper taper for what I needed is why I stacked three

Rifled Wedges
http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...ck-Bear-8-Rifled-Falling-Wedge-Each-15301.axd

I keep a pair in my pocket & the K&Hs in my pouch.

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
4:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are mine, cast aluminum from Sweden.
They were on sale for 5 Euro a piece.
DSC00596.JPG DSC00597.JPG
Should have taken more! :(

I have barely used them as I rarely fell trees, but the little I have used them they seemed to work nice.

What size are they You ask?!
That bar is 36", You make the math: :D
DSC00592.JPG

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag