High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Felling question

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
10:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
You are asking members that are mostly located in the US, from what I gathered they will most likely reply to blow the tree "over" with some explosives or shoot at it with .50 caliber. ;)

On a serious note, can You get someone more spry to help You out felling that tree, You be the spotter? o_O

If You have access to the required equipment maybe rope the tree up and pull it over?
It's a shame y'all over on the other side of the pond cant enjoy some of the freedoms we take for granted here...not too much more "American" then taking some shells out to the woods to shoot chit up with some buddies for no reason at all other then you CAN.
Terry , I'm sure you can trade some "wrench" time on some saws for a tree service guys time to drop that tree safely.
Around here they are always looking to drop loads of tree trunks and chips off too.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Or fishing pole and a one ounce sinker. Then tie masons twine to weight and reel it back over and then tie rope to the twine.

Would probably need like 20lb line at least so it doesn't chafe off on the branch. And I would respond the rod before I fished with it so I would not breakoff any fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
i lost a bl00dy good one today. left the gaff at home and tried to pull it over the side of the kayak only for it to kick against the side and spit the hook back at me. I'm calling it landed with a gracious self-release. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

But, yeah Terry, there'd be a way of getting a line in it. Bow and arrow mate, or swing and hurl a D shackle on the end of some twine. You'll be surprised how far they can go and how accurate you can be with them after only a few attempts. If you google 'big shot' it might give you a few ideas how to build your own big slingshot, but just as much fun is making a spud gun, but not as accurate. Heck, I even tried getting fishing line up there using a drone a few times before giving up on that one. I still reckon the D-shackle and a few attempts is the best way for me. Give it a crack and let us know how you get on and if the wife is still talking to you afterwards.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 71 and don't move as fast as I used to. I've got this tree I want to drop, a nice dried out gum tree about 36" in diameter, however the top branches are dried out and still up in the surrounding trees canopies. I figure if is start trying to wedge the bugger over, I may break off one of those big dried out branches and get myself plastered into the soil.

The tree is in a remote spot, so I was thinking about cutting a good size scarf and then do a back-cut - then leave the bugger for the next wind storm to do the rest of the work for me. If it takes a year to finally come down, I'm not bothered, I've got other things to do.

What do you guys think about this plan?
Believe it or not, a local farmer has been trying to do that for the past six months with a big ash tree. He has a deep wedge cut out on the north side of the tree and a felling cut partially through. He awaits a strong south wind to finish the drop. The tree is also propped up with boards to prevent a strong north wind from sending it back the other direction. So far, no luck.

Frankly, I can't see why he just doesn't drop it. His tree has very few branches remaining. So, it's standing there like the Eiffel tower, but precarious as could be, and if it falls, it will cross a gravel county road that has occasional traffic. It's an accident waiting to happen. Some say he is doing this to reduce regular traffic flow past his yard. Authorities have done nothing to amend the situation. I guess they figure it's not a public nuisance.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A dead sweet gum will come all to pieces. They can be solid in one spot and weak in the next. I was clearing with a loader one time and got to a big dead gum. I started to saw it because I knew I could not push on it. I thought better and found a good tall pine I could slap it with from a safe distance. The gum folded up like an accordion when the pine hit it. There wasn’t a piece longer than 8ft. I might try roping it but beyond that I would leave it alone. Get you some good solid hickory for firewood.
This is kinda what I was gonna suggest. Cut the mf'er and dump another big tree into it....if it's feasible. I do it with junk trees that are in the way (usually small stuff though).