Felling question

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A dead sweet gum will come all to pieces. They can be solid in one spot and weak in the next. I was clearing with a loader one time and got to a big dead gum. I started to saw it because I knew I could not push on it. I thought better and found a good tall pine I could slap it with from a safe distance. The gum folded up like an accordion when the pine hit it. There wasn’t a piece longer than 8ft. I might try roping it but beyond that I would leave it alone. Get you some good solid hickory for firewood.
Judging by some of the vocabulary and the tree species and what gums we have here vs other places I'm thinking he may be over seas somewhere. I hear Aussies talk about red gum and burning so there are other places where there gums must be more desirable then the few species we have here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Judging by some of the vocabulary and the tree species and what gums we have here vs other places I'm thinking he may be over seas somewhere. I hear Aussies talk about red gum and burning so there are other places where there gums must be more desirable then the few species we have here.

I didn’t even notice that he was in Australia lol. Our gums are not the best firewood. They are not very dense and split about as good as a basket. When their young you can bend them to the ground with a dozer and they won’t break. Old and dead they crumble.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A dead sweet gum will come all to pieces. They can be solid in one spot and weak in the next. I was clearing with a loader one time and got to a big dead gum. I started to saw it because I knew I could not push on it. I thought better and found a good tall pine I could slap it with from a safe distance. The gum folded up like an accordion when the pine hit it. There wasn’t a piece longer than 8ft. I might try roping it but beyond that I would leave it alone. Get you some good solid hickory for firewood.
You're right on the sweetgum as the last time I had a tree fold up on me it was one of those. The tree in question though is an Australian grown gum and much different from our Georgia gum trees. I didn't have to buck up that gum tree because as you mentioned, the trunk broke up into sections when it hit the ground. Groundi took a pic of me "running" to get out of the debris path and I don't run unless it's an absolute necessity.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet gum is one of the least rot resistant trees we have or should I say most rot prone trees. Often rotting down while still alive.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The only thing I hate worse than a sweet gum is a black gum. They are almost impossible to get up with out a excavator. You can’t even breakem off the stump. Good thing is you can saw it and come back in a few weeks it will be rotten lol

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only thing I hate worse than a sweet gum is a black gum. They are almost impossible to get up with out a excavator. You can’t even breakem off the stump. Good thing is you can saw it and come back in a few weeks it will be rotten lol

That Echo will take care of a Gum.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Oz, we call Eucalyptus trees 'gum' trees - s0metimes when they aren't even Eucalyptus. There's lots of different types and virtually all make great firewood.

I think this barkless, leaveless dried out tree may be what we call locally a 'blue gum', although it isn't technically a real blue gum. If I cut into it I could see the wood and confirm it, but that ain't gonna happen.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In Oz, we call Eucalyptus trees 'gum' trees - s0metimes when they aren't even Eucalyptus. There's lots of different types and virtually all make great firewood.

I think this barkless, leaveless dried out tree may be what we call locally a 'blue gum', although it isn't technically a real blue gum. If I cut into it I could see the wood and confirm it, but that ain't gonna happen.
Hey maybe mother nature will send a storm blow it over for you to confirm. But if it's a tough tree it may not blow over. Or maybe all the branches will fall off and then the truck could be laid over...but that top may still break out so you never know...better to just let that one turn to dirt, unless it blows over earlier.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tree may be dead, but it is pretty solid. I expect it will still be standing after I'm gone. Someone else will be getting the wood.

I spent this morning cutting up another tree that was already down. I spotted another one while working on the first one that I can get the truck close to - so, I don't need to take any silly risks as the woods around me have plenty of wood. I just like the tree to be close to a road for me to back my truck up to. Carrying wood is a heck of a lot harder than cutting it...

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tree may be dead, but it is pretty solid. I expect it will still be standing after I'm gone. Someone else will be getting the wood.

I spent this morning cutting up another tree that was already down. I spotted another one while working on the first one that I can get the truck close to - so, I don't need to take any silly risks as the woods around me have plenty of wood. I just like the tree to be close to a road for me to back my truck up to. Carrying wood is a heck of a lot harder than cutting it...
Thats the truth, and im 36, i try not to go too far, but have been known to go 50 yrds before

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
blow the tree "over" with some explosives

Ya know, if I could get some decent explosives - that's exactly what I would do. I had a bit of exposure to explosives over in 'Nam and a nice 'muff' charge would drop that sucker in a 'flash'.

Probably make a great youtube video at the same time.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crikey Mate!, I can't throw that far - this is a BIG tree. That's one of the reasons I'd like to have it on the ground, I could have firewood for a couple of years.
Those little sling shot things pull small line over then big line.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A bow and arrow with a string on it works too.
Or fishing pole and a one ounce sinker. Then tie masons twine to weight and reel it back over and then tie rope to the twine.

Would probably need like 20lb line at least so it doesn't chafe off on the branch. And I would respond the rod before I fished with it so I would not breakoff any fish.