Felling question

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm 71 and don't move as fast as I used to. I've got this tree I want to drop, a nice dried out gum tree about 36" in diameter, however the top branches are dried out and still up in the surrounding trees canopies. I figure if is start trying to wedge the bugger over, I may break off one of those big dried out branches and get myself plastered into the soil.

The tree is in a remote spot, so I was thinking about cutting a good size scarf and then do a back-cut - then leave the bugger for the next wind storm to do the rest of the work for me. If it takes a year to finally come down, I'm not bothered, I've got other things to do.

What do you guys think about this plan?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are asking members that are mostly located in the US, from what I gathered they will most likely reply to blow the tree "over" with some explosives or shoot at it with .50 caliber. ;)

On a serious note, can You get someone more spry to help You out felling that tree, You be the spotter? o_O

If You have access to the required equipment maybe rope the tree up and pull it over?

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dead trees are dangerous to be under without taking a chainsaw to them. You said remote, but is it on your property? Is there any chance anyone else may end up near the thing without knowing of the increased danger? I would personally have some serious reservations about cutting a tree to that point and walking away.

That being said... As much as I like the 50 cal and explosives idea, I don't have either so that would be out for me as well. I do have a rope though. So a plan similar to yours, but with a rope already set with pretension that can be used to pull it over after cutting.

Most importantly, stay safe. No firewood is worth getting hurt over.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with some of the other posts. Set a rope in it and pull it into the lay that way you are clear of any limbs that may break off as it falls past or threw the other trees canopy. Dead trees can be wedged over with success. You just have to be mindful of what is going on above you. Wedging creates a lot of vibration threw the stem/trunk. If you have command of the tree it will be moving forward and making the decrepit limbs shake and move which can cause them to break off. I have found that if you give the wedge a good hit, then stop and look up see what the limbs are doing. Once they stop moving around give the wedge another hit. Hope that makes sense. I would not leave a tree that has been cut up to the hinge for the wind or storm to blow down.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know someone who is paralyzed for life from a dead branch falling on him while he was felling. Be very careful.

I don't like the idea of leaving anything I have cut still standing.

A partner, a rope, and a helmet are essential IMO. The rope winches work great.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm 71 and don't move as fast as I used to. I've got this tree I want to drop, a nice dried out gum tree about 36" in diameter, however the top branches are dried out and still up in the surrounding trees canopies. I figure if is start trying to wedge the bugger over, I may break off one of those big dried out branches and get myself plastered into the soil.

The tree is in a remote spot, so I was thinking about cutting a good size scarf and then do a back-cut - then leave the bugger for the next wind storm to do the rest of the work for me. If it takes a year to finally come down, I'm not bothered, I've got other things to do.

I recently took down a tree for a local guy that was in the situation as you. It was a big 36-40" tree, standing dead. He said he wasnt as spry and didnt trust that he could get out of the way fast enough if things went bad. I charged him $75 to put it down and even kept it out of his yard. I reckon it probably has 1-2 years worth of firewood in that one tree for him. I do odd jobs like that here and there a few times a year. I could see where people might be hesitant to let someone come do that but then again, go get a quote from a tree service and see how much they will charge. I suppose if it's a random tree out in your forest it's not doing any harm so why not just let nature take its course or do you want it for firewood instead of letting it rot?

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Have you got a heavy rope & something to anchor it to/pull it with?

If I was concerned, I’d put a rope in it, put a wide open face in it, get the slack out of the rope, & move forward felling it.

If when I got finished with the Back cut & it wasn’t on the ground, I’d move over to my anchor point in such a way not to be in the path of the tree were it to fall, & use some means of mechanical advantage to finish things.

Block & tackle
Tractor
Truck

Are all mechanical advantages.

Go Forth & Be safe.

Remember, always look up.

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Two problems I can see: 1. What next if the snag hangs up in the canopy? 2. I don't know about dead gum, but pine snags can snap under pressure and fly back to find you faster than you can run. Leave it be.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think the problem is more how to fell it, sounds like he has an idea of how to fell. The concern and more the question is about the branches and should he leave it half cut. I say no leaving it half cut, and the dead branches are cause for concern, best left untouched.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't leave it half cut, that's creating a hazard. I'd put a rope on it, cut a big face and part of the back cut and then pull it. If a tree gets to be "too dead" I won't cut them down at all. That's bucket truck work. I've had trees fold in half where the main part of the trunk went in the direction of the intended fall but the greater part of the tree went 180 degrees to the fall direction. I was prepared for that so it wasn't an issue but a dead tree can scatter all over the place on the way down and even an 18 year old may not be able to dodge all the debris. Your experience is evident in recognizing the potential hazards so utilize those years of wisdom accrued to make the right decisions.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't leave it half cut, that's creating a hazard. I'd put a rope on it, cut a big face and part of the back cut and then pull it. If a tree gets to be "too dead" I won't cut them down at all. That's bucket truck work. I've had trees fold in half where the main part of the trunk went in the direction of the intended fall but the greater part of the tree went 180 degrees to the fall direction. I was prepared for that so it wasn't an issue but a dead tree can scatter all over the place on the way down and even an 18 year old may not be able to dodge all the debris. Your experience is evident in recognizing the potential hazards so utilize those years of wisdom accrued to make the right decisions.
As a forester I have seen many dead trees cut down with a feller buncher that do just that, the trunks bust into 2 or 3 pieces and go all over. Now there is a lot of jostling that goes on when those machines grab and move a tree

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. If I was walking through a forest and came upon a tree with a face cut and back cut, I'd freak out. "What dickhead did that!"

I thought about putting yellow warning tape around the area, but that would just entice people to want to have a look.

It's a dangerous tree that is waiting to drop some big dry brittle branches when it starts to come down. I think I'll just pass on the wood - and maybe I'll make it to my 72nd birthday.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. If I was walking through a forest and came upon a tree with a face cut and back cut, I'd freak out. "What dickhead did that!"

I thought about putting yellow warning tape around the area, but that would just entice people to want to have a look.

It's a dangerous tree that is waiting to drop some big dry brittle branches when it starts to come down. I think I'll just pass on the wood - and maybe I'll make it to my 72nd birthday.
I like that idea sir.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A dead sweet gum will come all to pieces. They can be solid in one spot and weak in the next. I was clearing with a loader one time and got to a big dead gum. I started to saw it because I knew I could not push on it. I thought better and found a good tall pine I could slap it with from a safe distance. The gum folded up like an accordion when the pine hit it. There wasn’t a piece longer than 8ft. I might try roping it but beyond that I would leave it alone. Get you some good solid hickory for firewood.