Favorite Woods Carry Pistol(s)

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Really nice trio of handguns you have there......Especially the long slide.
Jim Clark Jr., before his passing, said his father (Jim Clark) built less than 100 of those extra long-slides. Best I remember the "extra" long-slides were 1/4" or so longer than their long-slide bulleye pistols.

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alot of guys out west and alaska are carrying the 10 mm for grizzly polar bear and mountain lion protection it. Is a round that is underestimated that never took off that is finialy gaining some popularity.its ted nugents fav. Caliber.it has twice the speed as a 45 auto and allmost twice the energy

Anyone in alaska that carrys a 10mm for bear protection is a complete fool. There are many that do it, and all fall waaayy down on that common sense scale. 10mm is NOT and will not ever be a bear gun (especially a glock!).

The only 3 guns you will ever find a true alaskan carrying for bear protection is a 44mag revolver, a 12ga pump action shotgun, or a marlin 45-70. When in the woods I always have the first one on me, as well as one of the other two. People that carry a 10mm as a bear gun deserve to be eaten...

I have witnessed in person a 10mm 220 grain hard cast bullet skip right off a grizzly skull. And the bear kept charging... but the 500gr 45-70 slug between the eyes always stops em in their tracks :)

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone in alaska that carrys a 10mm for bear protection is a complete fool. There are many that do it, and all fall waaayy down on that common sense scale. 10mm is NOT and will not ever be a bear gun (especially a glock!).

The only 3 guns you will ever find a true alaskan carrying for bear protection is a 44mag revolver, a 12ga pump action shotgun, or a marlin 45-70. When in the woods I always have the first one on me, as well as one of the other two. People that carry a 10mm as a bear gun deserve to be eaten...

I have witnessed in person a 10mm 220 grain hard cast bullet skip right off a grizzly skull. And the bear kept charging... but the 500gr 45-70 slug between the eyes always stops em in their tracks :)
the thread is a woods carry pistol so why are you talking about a 45/70 and a pump shotgun. Ive never seen a 45/70 pistol unless in a contender style single shot nor a pump shotgun pistol and a 10 mm is equivilent to a 41 magnum in balistics.with less weight and more fire power.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
the thread is a woods carry pistol so why are you talking about a 45/70 and a pump shotgun. Ive never seen a 45/70 pistol unless in a contender style single shot nor a pump shotgun pistol and a 10 mm is equivilent to a 41 magnum in balistics.with less weight and more fire power.
I stand to correct myself i guess there is a 45/70 pistol made my opology i remember when there wasnt one made.and i damn sure wouldnt want to shoot it lol

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
K series smiths are a great piece. I kick myself for not buying one in 41 mag one time
When did S&W build a K frame in .41M? The K frame was marginal with the .357M, that's why S&W went to the L frame.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stand to correct myself i guess there is a 45/70 pistol made my opology i remember when there wasnt one made.and i damn sure wouldnt want to shoot it lol
Here's a pic of the BFR in 45-70.......... I wouldn't want to shoot it either.
image.jpg

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the new 12ga Mossberg is making.

image.jpg

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Father passed last year not sure wich model will probably never see it nor know what model.but its a 357 mag nickle with thick jigged bone handles and he said it was on on 44 mag large frame he bought it from a policeman i think its a model 27 or 28 its a pretty piece

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Father passed last year not sure wich model will probably never see it nor know what model.but its a 357 mag nickle with thick jigged bone handles and he said it was on on 44 mag large frame he bought it from a policeman i think its a model 27 or 28 its a pretty piece
The model 27 is an N frame in .357, Blue or Nickle. . The model 28, called the Highway Patrolman, has a matte blue finish and was a bit cheaper than the 27. The N frame .41 mag is the model 57 in blue and the model 657, in SS.

2stroke800

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You brought up alaska like you know what you are talking about, and it made me laugh. I mentioned a 45-70 and a 12ga because when you live in a place with real predators, the pistol you are carrying is only going to get you about 10 feet to a long gun that will save your life. People that bring them tupperware pistols into the woods and call it a bear gun crack me up.

You talk about the 10mm like it was sent from jesus himself. Its a decent round but in reality doesnt cut the mustard for anything other than gang bangers doing drive by's. But, good luck to ya and happy shooting!

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You brought up alaska like you know what you are talking about, and it made me laugh. I mentioned a 45-70 and a 12ga because when you live in a place with real predators, the pistol you are carrying is only going to get you about 10 feet to a long gun that will save your life. People that bring them tupperware pistols into the woods and call it a bear gun crack me up.

You talk about the 10mm like it was sent from jesus himself. Its a decent round but in reality doesnt cut the mustard for anything other than gang bangers doing drive by's. But, good luck to ya and happy shooting!
Lol well im not a gangbaner nor have i ever been fyi nor is ted nugent .thats kinda getting into racist type comments .i know balastics and reload and i am entiteled to my opinion. And so are you.if you feel or know that the 10 mm isnt heavy enough round you didnt have to be so neg and derogitory in your opibion about the weapon